Chapter 37

Locke's POV

"What the fuck is taking you so long!" I yell as I march down the stairs.

Dex is standing tensely at the open front door. Seconds later, two males step through, power and anger radiating off of them. I'd know them anywhere.

"Locke." Kline growls out. "Where's my sister."

I knew this day would be coming but, because of selfish reasonings, had been putting it off. It was only a matter of time before they stormed in and demanded answers. Two weeks have passed since I've last seen her and it's no doubt been the same for them. She's always been close with her family and the silence they've been receiving isn't normal. For either of us.

I look at Dex, as if he has answers, but he avoids everyone's gaze and stares out the door.

"You son of a bitch."

Kline grabs me by the front of my shirt and slams me into the nearest object, which happens to be an end table near the bottom of the staircase. I see his fist coming flying at my fist but I don't stop him. He lands blow after blow as I stand there, letting him release his anger and letting myself feel the pain of being the one responsible for it.

"That's enough." Zander calls out before he grabs his son.

"It'll never be enough!" He cries out and tears begin to run down his face.

"What happened?" Zander asks harshly.

I can feel blood running down mine from the beating and I wish he'd do it again. Anything than voice the truth of it all. That the reason she's gone is because of me.

"It's all my fault." My voice is dead as I say the words.

"Where is she Locke?"

"I don't know."

I wish I did.

"I don't know." I repeat as a whisper before looking up.

My eyes burn but I refuse to break down in front of them.

"Then where are you going?"

There's judgment in his voice, but I don't blame him. Not only did I not give them any information the last two weeks on Laurel, but it's my fault she's gone. I'm now holding onto the sliver of hope that I might be able to get a part of her back.

The one thing I've never wanted in this world has become the only thing I do.

"We're going to find his son." Dex cuts in.

"It's a boy?" Kline asks in a bit of awe.

"It is." I nod. "The garden shows me he's still alive and I'm going to bring him home."

"Garden...?" Kline asks curiously, looking out the windows in search of vegetation that's nonexistent.

"I don't have time to explain further, we must leave." I gesture to Dex to come along.

"Wait." Kline calls out. "I want to come."

I give him a look of displeasure but he continues before I can tell him no.

"Please. I loved her too. More than anything."

I sigh and Kline gives me a small knowing smile.

"Well, let's go then." Dex says as he grabs his bag.

"You're both going?" Kline asks.

"Yes."

"Who will watch the kingdom? This might take awhile."