Chapter 40

Locke's POV

"Grab your pack and let's go." I say as we all grab our gear from the back of Dex's pickup.

We stopped along the way to get a few items since it will probably be a day or two hike up the mountain. Thankfully we don't have to travel very high up in elevation, but it's still a pretty good ruck.

I know exactly what our final destination looks like, but how to get there is a different story. The seeing water left behind directions that came in the form of strong urges or flashbacks of a landmark. The guys are a bit skeptical if we're even going in the right direction, especially since we didn't take the most direct course here. Well at least Dex has voiced his concern. Kline has still yet to say anything else.

"What did you say to him?" Dex whispers next to me and nods his head towards Kline.

"Nothing." I scoff.

Why does he assume it's me?

"Well something is obviously up."

I look back to see him following along with his head hung low.

"He's just tired, had a long drive."

"I don't know..." He trails off and I know he's about to push it.

"Just leave it Dex." I snap.

Klines eyes meet mine and I nod to him. I know whatever it is, he's not ready to talk about it yet, and he gives me a look of thanks for shutting Dex up. At least for now.

We walk awhile longer until the sun has long set before we decide to call it a night. It's pretty cold and I know it will be a miserable night without a fire so Dex goes off to gather firewood. I begin to set up a large tent that I picked up earlier today and, to my surprise, Kline grabs one end to help put it together.

"There's some packaged food in the red backpack if you're hungry." I offer as he lifts one end of the tent to string through a pole.

"Not hungry." He replies.

We continue setting everything else up in silence, and while I'm itching to know what happened, I'm not the best at starting these conversations.

"Does it hurt not having her here?" Kline breaks the silence.

I look up at him to see loneliness in his eyes.

"Yeah. It does." I say softly.

He hums but doesn't say anything else as I begin to stack some of the wood Dex collected and get a fire lit.

"It's like, a giant hole in my chest is missing." I continue, hoping my openness with convince him to tell me what's wrong. "At first it was almost like I couldn't breathe and it stayed that way for awhile."

"But now you think she's alive?" He questions.

"I know she is." I nod and poke at the flames.

I see a smile tug at his mouth but it's not like the normal ones I'm used to. He lets out a long, exaggerated breath before running a hand down his face.

"I know who that man was talking about when we were in Dalton. I saw her." He stares at the fire as he talks.

"Who?"

"The one I was supposedly looking for. I found my mate."

"When? In that human town?" I question.

Isn't this a big deal? Why isn't he excited?

He nods and I see him swallow as though trying to keep his emotions in check.

"Was she a human?" I ask a bit curious.