Chapter 35

Locke's POV

"This better be good." I grunt as I meet Dex outside one of our barracks.

"I think you need to see this. Some of the soldiers patrolling the West side found her carving a rune into one of the stones. They captured her and brought her here for questioning, but no one can get anything out of her."

"Let me talk to her." I go to push by him and he grabs by arm.

"Be careful Locke. She's dangerous."

He gives me a hard look before turning to lead me into the room the intruder is currently being held.

Sitting in a chair tied up is a woman who looks no older than 30. Her hair is a fiery red that is cut just below her shoulders and she seems to be an average height for a female. All in all, there's nothing significant about her. Her eyes meet mine when I walk in and she gives me a light smile.

"Locke." Dex warns me from behind.

"It's okay, I'll take it from here." I say back.

He gives me an uneasy look before nodding and backing out of the room.

"So why are you here?" I ask once I turn back around.

She searches my face quietly, not saying anything, so I pull out another chair. I spin it around and sit down so I'm facing just a few feet in front of her.

"Well?" I raise an eyebrow.

"You know, you're not what I expected." She replies smoothly.

"And what did you expect exactly?"

"Well, the Fae have always been known to be a bit ruthless. So I guess I was expecting- something a little rougher than this." She shrugs her shoulders, causing me to grow more irritated.

"That can be arranged if you'd like." I growl, earning a laugh from her.

"I like it when you talk dirty." She winks at me. "And you have the looks to match."

I stand up and throw my chair against the wall, shattering it into pieces as they fly throughout the room.

"I'm going to ask nicely once more. Why. Are. You. Here."

"Well, to buy time of course." Her voice dips low, the sound changing entirely, and I unconsciously take a step back.

For a moment I would have sworn the words came from Laurel, but the expression from the woman in front of me never changes, making me think I must just be hearing things.

"Buy time for what?" I ask.

She holds my gaze for a moment before a smirk forms on her lips. My stomach drops as I pull out my cell phone.

No service.

I quickly exit the room and Dex gives me a bewildered look.

"What is it?" He asks.

"Laurel." I reply. "I think something is wrong."

A flood of texts come in from her along with a voicemail. I scan through them quickly, but all are just asking if I'll be back soon and then telling me she's heading back to the house.

Fuck, I didn't realize I was gone so long.

I finally click on the voicemail that she sent a half hour ago and hold it up to my ear to listen. Nothing but noise comes from the other side and then a few seconds later the sound of something tearing is heard. I replay the message on speaker for Dex to hear and he gives me a confused look.