Chapter 19

Laurel's POV

"Are you ready to go princess?"

I turn around in the kitchen to see Dex in athletic gear and a duffle bag thrown over his shoulder.

"Ready to go where?" I say as I rinse my breakfast plate in the sink.

Locke just left a few minutes ago to start working and I was honestly wondering what I would do for the rest of the day. Should have know Dex would be up to something and more than willing to drag any unfortunate bystanders in with him.

"Tryouts of course." He grins.

I have to hand it to him, he does have a contagious personality. You can't help but smile around with his lucky go happy attitude. His shaggy brown hair, warm eyes, and charming personality are a deadly combo when you add in his mischievous smirk. It's easy to see Locke is right when he said Dex is the ladies man.

"And what exactly are we trying out for?"

"WE, aren't trying out for anything. We are the fair and humble judges." He gives an exaggerated bow, causing his duffle bag to slide down his back and hit him in the head.

"Smooth." I laugh and he gives me a side eye.

"Enough talk, change and let's go." He snaps his fingers.

"You going to have to tell me what the tryouts are for first."

"For the position as the new commander." He huffs, as if he's told me a million times.

New commander? Why the hell would I be judging the tryouts? Shouldn't Locke be the one doing this?

"Locke feels as though you are the man, or should I say woman, for the job since you're a wolf. Don't you guys do tryouts for this kinda stuff all the time?" He asks.

"Well yeah, but I don't normal participate, Kline does. I didn't exactly inherit the fighting gene."

"You'll do fine." He waves.

I get changed into some workout clothes and meet Dex back downstairs. He's looking at his watch, shifting from one foot to the next, making me wonder if we're already late.

"Great let's go." He smiles big once he sees me.

We step out to a completely restored F100 pickup and Dex slides into the drivers seat. I get in, a little thrown off by the vehicle choice.

"Not gonna lie, I kinda expected a BMW for you."

"What? This is a classic!" He pats the dash, clearly upset I would think so lowly of him to have a fuck boy vehicle.

We take a short ten minute drive to a large building surrounded by nothing but openness. The long brick building is pretty plain and I can't imagine anything except for classrooms being inside.

We make our way inside, but cut all the way through the building to the back door. Outside is a huge area full of outdoor exercise equipment where a dozen or so men are waiting.

"Ah, welcome Ladies. Glad you could make it!" Dex smirks at everyone.

Judging by their expression, they're fully desensitized to his behavior since no one seems to pay him any mind. A few of them eye me with curios expression, but their main focus remains on Dex.

He has them all run around a few laps and warm up before breaking off into pairs. It's the typical, "spar with your neighbor and let's see what you can do" routine for the remainder of the day as we watch each of them closely.

All of them are good fighters and there are a few that stand out more than others. Though none of them really blew my mind, a commander can't be judged on fighting abilities alone.