Chapter 32

Laurel's POV

The dreams I've been having are so vivid and horrifying, it's been hard to get much sleep at night. Each time is the same.

I'm sprinting through the woods, desperate to go faster and not get caught. As I begin to approach the river, two figures step out in front of me and I immediately stop.

The man on the left has his face covered by a stag skull. The pristine antlers coming out almost two feet on each side with several tines perfectly placed and spaced out. His figure is lean and built, and would almost mistake him for Locke, expect I know it isn't. Because the man on the right, staring at me intently with those familiar eyes, is Locke.

I suddenly look down to see a sleeping bundle in my arms. Their soft breaths capture my attention as I look at the baby no more than a few weeks old. I feel a hand on my arm and have to force myself not to continue gazing at the breathtaking child I'm holding.

"Let me see." I finally glance up to find Locke looking at the child with amazement.

I nod and shift the baby in my hold so I can gently place them in the arms of their father. The second I let go, wailing screams start and I look in panic at the face of my distraught child. When I glance up, it's no longer Locke, but Lucious. A maddening grin on his face.

"There, there. I've got you now." He says in a harsh whisper.

"No!" I lunge forward, but I'm just out of arms reach.

They instantly disappear and I'm left stranded with the stag headed figure. He pulls out a knife, the blade white as though carved from ivory, and takes a step closer.

"He won't be able to save you now."

His words echo through my head, as if they weren't spoken allowed, but spoken only for me to hear.

"You should have ran when you had the chance."

The knife is plunged into my chest as I open my mouth to scream, but nothing comes out.

I shoot up in bed, my skin covered in sweat and my breathing ragged. Locke stirs next to me and also sits up in concern.

"Another dream?" He asks.

"Yeah." I try to catch my breath.

"Same one?"

I nod and squeeze my eyes shut, wishing them to just go away.

"Will you tell me what it's about?" He asks softly.

"I'm so sorry." I choke out, not able to hold it back anymore.

I can already feel my belly starting to swell a bit now and I know it's only a matter of time before he notices too. There's been so much I've hid from him recently but it's all started with the tiny person growing inside me.

"There's nothing to be sorry about love, it was just a dream." He rubs my back in slow circles.

If only that were the case.

"I have so much I need to tell you."

He continues his movements and looks at me patiently, as though I'm not fully awake yet, but still talking in my sleep. Nodding slowly, his voice is light like he's playing along with the act.

"Alright."

"I- when- looking for Kline" I stutter over my words, my heart rate picking up as I begin to tell him everything. "Lucious was there- and- rogue- and others"