Chapter 44

Locke's POV

The only thing I've ever loved is being threatened. It feels like there's no other way to ensure that they both of them are safe and I'm willing to do anything to protect my family.

"You're sure?" Beckett asks again.

"Yes."

He looks grim but doesn't try convincing me to change my mind. He knows I won't.

"At least this time you shouldn't feel as sick." He mentions briefly.

That's what he thinks.

I've been on the verge of throwing up since Laurel told me everything. The Wendigo wants my family. 'The Anarchy' is what they call him. He wants my woman as his own and who knows what he'll do with Varik.

Probably kill him.

My feelings keep flipping back and forth between burning rage and gut wrenching fear.

It's all sickening.

We step through the barrier and into the other world, but this time all I get is some dizziness. As soon as I focus my vision I march after Beckett who has already a dozen yards in front of me. We reach Scarlet's cottage in a matter of minutes and I watch as he knocks on the door.

She opens and her eyes immediately land on me. As if she knew I was coming.

"What's wrong?" She asks a bit panicked.

Okay maybe she doesn't actually know why I'm here.

"Locke needs you for a spell." Beckett answers.

"A spell?" She raises an eyebrow. "And it was something you couldn't do?"

Beckett is a powerful Fae and there's no doubt his magical knowledge surpasses almost everyone in the kingdom, but there's some things that even he can't do. Some spells take far too much power to be done by anyone other that a witch or wizard.

And I've never done anything half ass.

"I want a make a blood sacrifice." I say to her.

Both her eyebrows shoot up at my words. She juts her head out and quickly looks around, as though someone might be listening in on us, before grabbing our wrists to pull us inside. A shocked expression is still on her face when she speaks to me.

"You want to do what?"

"Do I really need to repeat myself?"

This has her shaking her head frantically and she presses a finger to her lips.

"No, don't say it again. I don't want to take the chance of someone hearing." She stares at the ground quietly for a moment. "You realize what you're asking me to do?"

Her question is directed at Beckett but I know what she means.

The penalty for conducting a blood sacrifice is death if you're caught by the high council of the witches and wizards. And I'm asking her to put her life on the line so that I can protect my family.

"It's the only way I know to keep them safe. The Anarchy has been inside my house, held my wife as I slept, and has tried to escape with my son. I fear that there's nothing I can do to actually stop him, except for this."

She gives me a long look and the pity in her eyes burns me. I already feel completely helpless, a feeling I'm not used to, and having someone's pity just makes the dig deeper.

"A blood sacrifice require blood. How am I supposed to do it without them here?"

I pull out a few vials that were in my pocket. I had scheduled us all a physical a few days ago under the pretense that I just wanted to make sure everyone was okay after the Anarchy came. The doctor pulled some blood from Laurel and Varik for me. Perks of being king is little questions get asked when I asked for this to be done.