Epilogue

Locke's POV

*4 years later*

There were some things I thought were better left unknown, after all we were happy right? That was until I found out Laurel's pregnant with our second child that I'm starting to question things and search for answers. There was a lot that happened between Varik and the Anarchy that remained a mystery, but I let it be. Until now.

I know for a fact my son had died that day, yet the blood sacrifice never went into effect. Had there been a different outcome with Varik, I would have beat on Scarlett's door and demanded answers for why I was still breathing and my boy was not. But that's not what happened and he came back to us. How? I'm not sure. But at that point we were tired of everything and just wanted to go home and enjoy being a family again. I was done with the chasing and prodding and desperately wanted things to just go back to normal.

But now it's changed. I needed to know whether or not my second would share the same fate as Varik. Would it's growing be accelerated like his? Is there more danger up ahead? I knew I had to see Scarlett for some peace of mind and my head is still reeling from the conversation.

"Didn't think I'd see you again." Scarlett grins as she opens the door and gestures for me to come inside. "What brings you here?"

"Was hoping you'd be able to enlighten me of a few things." I say.

"Oh?" She raises an eyebrow as we sit across from each other at a table she has in the corner of the room.

"I never questioned anything that happened at Velminia, but now..."

"Now you do?"

I nod.

"Why?"

"Laurel is pregnant." I can't help but smile.

I've wanted another child for awhile now, but Laurel has been hesitant. I was so excited to add another little one to our family when she finally told me she was expecting and I still am. Being a father is the best.

"Congratulations!" She says enthusiastically. "But I still don't understand why you decided to come to me now?"

"I want to know if they'll be like Varik." I explain.

Realization dawns on her.

"Oh." She shakes her head a bit. "No. Let me explain what happened in the magic realm that day."

She goes on to tell me about the Anarchy, and how he'd slowly been collecting power by trapping millions of life forces within his tower walls over the last few centuries. By doing that, he had also stored a significant amount of magic, gradually depleting the overall pool that all witches and wizards draw from. It took them awhile to realize what was going on, but by the time they did he was too powerful to find and overthrow.

A vision came to one of the seekers a few decades ago, showing a prophecy of how the Anarchy could be defeated. It was never told throughout the supernatural kingdoms because it was believed to only effect the magic realm and not everyone has magic. While the Fae do, it's not near as strong as witches and wizards and most can only perform basic spells. We draw next to nothing from the magic pool compared to some powerful witches.

Once he was defeated, the magic pool would be restored and stronger spells could be cast again. No one realized the Anarchy would start attacking different kingdoms all over the world.

Varik defied time, anyone who knew him knew that. And apparently, so did the Anarchy. He thought taking Varik's life force would ensure him to live forever, but it did the opposite. The magic pool dwindled to almost nothing as Varik's life force, quite literally, sucked the Anarchy dry.