Chapter 43

Laurel's POV

Locke has been withdrawn for hours now and it hurts that he would think I'd actually cheat on him. With Dex of all people. I've felt his eyes on me all day, following my movements, but he hasn't said a word. Varik is finally asleep in his bed, allowing me to meet Locke in the kitchen so we can talk.

He stands holding a cup of coffee, his chest bare and his sweatpants hanging dangerous low. I pause to take in the sight of him, something I'll never get tired of. Raking my eyes up his body to meet his, I see a flicker of satisfaction in them as he catches me checking him out.

I have no shame.

But as much as I'd love for him to take me on the counter, we have to address the elephant in the room.

"Locke." I approach him as he hands me a cup of my own. "Talk to me. What happened?" I ask.

He lets out a long sigh, but before he has time to speak Dex bursts in. His eyes are blazing as he looks at Locke and I'm not sure I've ever seen him so mad.

"You're a real bastard you know that?" He growls.

Locke's eyes narrow and become dark as he takes him in.

"Oh, I'm the bastard?" He spits. "And what did I do?"

Dex shakes his head.

"You know, I considered you my brother. Protecting this kingdom meant everything to me and you knew that! I would have died for you!" He yells.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Locke slams his cup down, annoyed with his shouting and accusing.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about! You pulling me aside after my class to tell me I haven't been meeting your so called 'standards'. It's one thing to remove me from the position as commander, but to take me out of the guard completely? That was low. That was my life."

"Removing you from- what the hell are you talking about Dex? I haven't seen your face all day until now." He gives a humorous laugh. "Actually that's not true. I did see you today with your tongue down my woman's throat."

Dex gives a look of disgust as he glances at me and then back to him. If it were any other situation, I'd probably be extremely offended.

"So you're just going to deny it?" Dex scoffs as though he didn't just get accused of having an affair with me.

"Deny what? I'd never remove you from your job Dex and you know that. You're the best damn soldier I have."

The anger from his eyes begins to fade as he searches Locke's face.

"What do you mean you saw me with Laurel earlier today?" He questions.

Locke lets out a long breath and pulls at his hair.

"I don't know what's going on. I was walking to the kitchen to make Varik lunch and I saw the two of you together. And it wasn't like I just thought it looked like you, I saw you. Both of you. It was so real."

Dex looks confused and my head feels like it's spinning. Something isn't adding up.

"I haven't been in the castle all day Locke, I've been out with the kids." He says.

"And Locke has been here all day with me." I say to him.

We all sit in silence, tension still thick in the air but the anger towards each other coming down.

"He was here." A small voice breaks through the kitchen and we all spin around.

Varik is in the doorway holding a stuffed bear close to his chest. His eyes look distant and... knowing. As though he's carrying the wisdom of a 60 year old and not someone who mirrors a 3 year old.