Chapter 39

Locke's POV

Rain bounces off the thin glass of the inn's windows and I can hear the wind begin to pick up, howling through the empty streets. It calls to me like a wolf, begging to go outside and search for her. I roll over once more on the surprisingly comfortable mattress, but I know sleep isn't coming for me tonight. Not after feeling so close.

I swear it was like I could sense her, just watching me. Which is ridiculous right? The energy around me that's been jarring around for days actually calmed down, surrendered if you will. And it had nothing to do with me, oh no, it knows who's truly in control. It was bowing down to our queen. That's how I knew she was there. That's how I know she's still alive.

I will find you.

I'll search every inch of land known to man if I have to and I won't stop until she's in my arms again. Both of them.

I close my eyes and try to imagine what he looks like. Does he have any of my traits? I hope not. I hope he's the spitting image of his mother.

Just thinking about them seems to calm me down and I close my eyes to savor the peacefulness in the air. I know it won't last for long.

Bang Bang Bang

There's a pounding on my door before it swings wide open. I don't bother to look up. There's only two people I know what these manners.

"What the hell are you doing?"

I open an eye to glance at Kline.

"Sleeping." I say casually.

"Sleeping? You're fully clothed, laying on top of the bedding. Weren't you wearing that yesterday? Did you even sleep?"

He's already started.

"Kline."

"Yeah?"

"Do you ever shut up?"

He has the most bewildered expression on his face as though I asked him if he thought pickles dance in the fridge at night.

"I feel so bad for the lady who gets stuck with you." I let out a long sigh and get off the bed. "Let me change and I'll be out in a minute."

"So I was right, you didn't sleep. Why not? What were you doing? Did you find out any more information?"

"Kline!" I shout.

Peaceful and quiet has left the building.

Dex is waiting with coffee and some type of pastry when I come down the stairs. There's a grim expression of his face as he stares out the window and hands me the items.

"Does it ever stop raining here?" He asks.

Lightening lights up the foyer we're in before a loud crack echos through, shaking the walls.

"No." I shake my head.

"What a miserable fucking place to live." He mumbles.

"Where's Kline?" I ask once I notice his obnoxious figure missing.

He walks out of an adjacent room holding his own cup of coffee and I'm quietly praying it's decaf. Please be decaf.

"Let's go. I don't want to be here any longer than needed."

We drive only a few minutes before we reach the building I'm looking for. If it wasn't raining so hard I would have preferred to walk, but we'd be soaked by the time we made it.

"Remember what I said." I point my finger in Kline's face and he nods to me. "Good."

A cold breeze rolls by us as I open the door to the run down shop and I have to force myself not to shiver. The air is dense and suffocating with the remnants of dark magic and I can feel my body wound up tight. I shouldn't be here, but what other choice do I have.