Chapter 27

Laurel's POV

My body thrives with new life as my bite begins to bind us together. I can feel the power within him surging through me with such force it almost knocks the breath out of me. The bond has already taken a toll on his body as well as he lies passed out on the bed. The ties between mates are all different depending on rank within the pack. The stronger the mates, the more powerful the bond must be to bind them together.

Locke obviously took it hard since he's not a wolf, but there's no doubt as the Fae King he's very powerful. His body had to spend a significant amount of more energy than mine, simply because he wasn't born to have the mate bond. My bite not only tied us together, but had to alter his DNA in the process to accept the bond.

This is why it's unheard of for an alpha to mate with a human, their body probably wouldn't be able to take the bonding process. Some of the lower ranking wolves mate with humans all the time, and I think once or twice a Gamma has had a human mate. I've never recalled it happening to a higher ranking wolf than that though. It's even more rare for a wolf to mate with a different species, especially a Fae.

I study Locke's sleeping body and watch the steady rise and fall of his chest as he takes in easy breaths. He's been asleep for a full 10 hours now and I can't think of a time since I've been here he's slept for more than 7. I grin to myself thinking about the fit he's going to have when he realizes how long he's been out.

I brush some hair off his forehead before getting off the bed to get dressed. He still hasn't stirred by the time I got ready so I decide to make my way downstairs for some breakfast. Locke's normal chef isn't in the kitchen when I walk in so I grab some items from the fridge and begin to make us each an omelette. The all too familiar scent reaches me as I crack an egg into the pan so I don't even bother turning around when the kitchen door opens.

"Morning Dex."

"How'd you know it was me?"

"I'd hard to miss the smell mischief and arrogance." I say and choke back a laugh as he proceeded to actually sniff himself.

"Is that really what I smell like?"

"No." I do laugh this time. "Pretty sure that's not even a scent."

"But I have a scent?"

"Yes Dex, everyone has a scent." I roll my eyes.

"What is mine?"

"When you're not smelling like pizza? It's kinda earthy, like you just walked into a forest."

"I do like pizza." He grins.

"I can tell."

I flip the omelet over as he walk over and grabs a piece of fruit off the counter.

"Where's the grumpy king?" He asks before taking a bite.

"Sleeping."

He begins to choke and I quickly turn around to make sure he's okay. His face is red and his eyes are wide once he finally takes a breath.

"He's what?! Is he sick??"

He genuinely sounds concerned and if I didn't know what happened the night before, I would be too.

Zara prances with anticipation as a wave of Locke's cologne collides with me right before he steps through the door as well.

"No, I'm not sick." He glares at his friend who stares back in shock.

He looks different this morning. His eyes are more vibrant, with specks of silver around his pupils that make them almost sparkle. The clothes he's worn have always fit him nicely, but he seems to have put on 20 lbs of muscle overnight, making them appear more fitted. He still has the signature lean Fae frame, but his shirt seems to pull tighter against his chest and shoulders. The veins down his forearms and biceps more prominent and his face more chiseled.