More Rules

I walked back to the room with Christian.

I don't know what Dominic must have gone through. What they all must have gone through. They lost their parents and their sister all in one night and they probably even didn't have the time to grieve with the countless responsibilities falling upon their shoulders. 

I bit my lips as Christian opened the doors and let me in.

Dominic stood at the end with his back to us, staring outside the huge windows and didn't bother turning around to address us.

"I'm going to leave you two alone to talk." Christian winks at me pushing me ahead gently.

Oh boy...

I glanced back at my brother nervously as he closed the door.

I walked to my brother until I was standing right beside him. I glanced at him but he didn't look back.

"Um," I began not really sure what to say. "About earlier. Sorry for walking away like that."

My brother shifted as he tore his gaze away from the glass windows.

"No." Dominic exhaled gradually turning to me. "I'm sorry for the way I acted. Sometimes I forget who I'm talking to."

I finally took in a deep breath glad that he had said something.

"Thanks," I mumbled relieved that he wasn't upset. 

"Did I scare you?" He asked his brows creased.

"I mean you looked terrifying." I was being rather blunt but I'd rather not lie.

"It's a habit." My brother nodded with a small smile. "I promise to be more careful in the future."

"You don't have to," I said out loud playing with my fingers, feeling rather shy. "It's fine."

Shy? Since when was I shy?!

"You're my sister Helen," Dominic muttered pressing his temple. "I need to be more civil around you. I just-"

"Don't know how?" I guessed to my brother's surprise. "Christian told me."

"Did he now?" My brother's face turned tensed as he leaned against the table. "What did he say?"

"Something about your childhood and being locked in a room too much?" I responded uncertainly not wanting to get Christian into trouble.

"Ah." My brother sighed relaxing. "Christian is a good person. He always looks at the best of the individual and not their worst."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked with a raised brow.

"It means Christian only said good things about me but they do not change the fact that I am not a good person he colours me to be."

"You're not a bad person either," I said frowning and Dominic shook his head, his poker face unsettling.

"You say that because-"

"I say that because I mean it." I cut him off irritated. "You are not a bad person."

Dominic was obviously surprised by my display of confidence but he didn't let the discussion fall easily. 

"You say that when I was the one who allowed Aiden to throw you off a cliff." Dominic reminded me and I winced.

"Exactly." My brother turned back to gazing outside the window while folding his arms.

"You were protecting me," I whispered with a frustrated sigh. "It was messed up but that doesn't change your true intention behind it and besides Aiden caught me."