On The Case

"You said that you would be of assistance if the need arises."

"And I intend to keep my word your highness," Micheal assured with a firm nod.

"Good," I said as I displayed a cheap metal coin in my hand. "Somebody had cast a spell on this coin before. A spell that conceals its true form for another. It lasts up to twenty-four hours before changing back to its original shape."

I may not be an expert in spells but we did have the successor of Rostaire to take the place. Besides this would be a test to prove his worth.

"That spell requires a certain level of experience your highness." Micheal frowned. "Though the spell will not fool mages, it cannot be deciphered by local demons."

"I am well aware of that, which is why I am asking for your help. Will you assist us to track down the person responsible?" I asked with a raised brow.

"It is my duty to stop a mage from creating any inconvenience to the crown your majesty. I am willing to do everything in my power to track down the offender." The mage bowed. "And I truly apologize for the trouble created."

"There's no need to apologize." I shook my head. "For now we need to get going."

"We?" Micheal repeated sounding surprised. "Your Majesty will be coming along?"

"Of course I will," I responded firmly. "Even I have a duty as the standing ruler and I intend to carry it out."

The young mage still looked surprised while nodding his head.

"I understand."

"Well, then we better get to it."

Leaving my brother's workplace with Merida and Micheal to meet Kai by the grounds as planned, I pulled the cloak closer and yanked up its hood to cover my head.

"Are you sure you should be coming along?" Kai stood by guards in golden armor who I presumed were the shields.

"These are my people." I reminded him. "I need to make sure that they aren't burdened with the problems being caused by the rift between the Nobles and the Royals. I owe that to them"

"Your majesty maybe I should come along." Merida insisted her forehead ceased with disagreement.

"No, I need you here Merida." I shook my head. "With the Commander protecting Rostaire and Kai accompanying me, I require somebody to stay back in the palace and protect my brother."

"Yes, your highness." My bodyguard didn't seem pleased in the least but she reluctantly obeyed.

"We will be back soon."

My favor towards portals wasn't any better than the last time. However, with so many eyes present, there was nothing more I could do than pursing my lips in displeasure and grabbing a hold of Kai's hand into the whirlwind that the gateway left behind.

Dust swirled around us and I coughed weakly before turning to inspect our surroundings, only to find a deserted street with crumbling structures residing alongside it.

"What is this place?" I found myself turning to Kai appalled by the pitiful state of the expanse.

"These are the suburbs of the capital Princess," Kai responded grimly. "The lowest income groups reside here."

"Here?" I repeated disbelievingly. "In these living conditions?!"

Kai gave me a weak smile as he nodded.

"Does one of the suspects live here?" I questioned trying to push my thoughts about the surroundings away and focusing on the task at hand.

"Yes, he's supposed to be a common criminal that almost everyone was acquainted with. He has a record of several theft cases but the merchants were surprised when he offered to pay this time," Kai said looking around. "Which is why the majority of them feel he could be involved."