The Auction House

"You're back?"

I found myself springing up from my seat and lunged forward into a run, towards the person standing by the doorway with a charming smile on his face. 

"Did you really miss me or you're just pretending?" Christian laughed when I practically threw myself at him. 

I felt a surge of relief overwhelm me as I clasped my hands around my brother's neck. 

"Definitely pretending," I mumbled feeling the happiest I had been in a long time as my gentle brother engulfed me in a warm embrace. 

"I missed you too, little one." My brother patted my back gently. 

Christian was back which probably meant that he found the antidote. 

"When did you get back?" I asked briefly drawing back to grin at him. 

"Just a few minutes," Christian responded with a smile of his own. 

I hugged him once again unable to keep the grin off my face. 

Only once we broke apart did I become a little serious. 

"What about the antidote?" I questioned nervously and my brother nodded much to my relief. 

"Have you seen Dominic yet?" I asked feeling comforted that my eldest brother would now completely recover. 

"Not yet," Christian said as he placed a kiss on my temple. "I needed to check on my favorite sister first." 

I scoffed in amusement. 

"I'm your only sister," I said narrowing my eyes. 

Christian ruffled my hair fondly

"I missed that semi-intimidating glare of yours." He chuckled.

"And I missed you taking my side against Dominic." I giggled heartily. 

"I don't think you need me for that anymore. After all, I heard some interesting news while I was away. About a certain devil winning the hearts of the kingdom." 

I blushed immediately. 

That part had been quite a surprise to me but Samuel had looked very pleased so I couldn't deny that I did feel a tiny tinge of pride over the accomplishment. 

Nonetheless, I simply shrugged. 

"I didn't do much. It's all thanks to the kingdom's support." 

"You have done plenty." Christian gazed at me with a look of pride in his eyes. "You really are a miracle worker, aren't you?"

"You're giving me too much credit." I pursed my lips with embarrassment. "This was a joint effort. I couldn't have done anything if it weren't for Samuel, Kai, Micheal, and Merida." 

"I see." Christian nodded. "I knew they were the right people to guide you." 

"They were." I agreed, smiling. "We should go see Dominic."

"We should." Christian agreed, clasping my hands in his. 

We spent the rest of the short trip to Dominic's chambers chatting about all that my brother had missed out on. 

I filled him in about how nervous I was in the beginning but once I had grown a little accustomed to it I had somewhat enjoyed my time as a stand-in ruler. 

"But I think I'm ready to go back to just being a princess," I said in the end trying to sound indifferent. 

The thought strangely felt disappointing but I didn't want to show it openly, so I simply concealed it with a smile.