The Face Off

I settled for looking around when nobody approached us for the time being.

The ballroom had been decorated with ribbons, candles and chandeliers, tables were covered in white cloth, laden with snacks and deserts in every variety possible.

Merida was standing a few feet away, acting as though she wasn't there but I knew that if ever I am attacked she would be by my side with her sword drawn within seconds.

I frequently caught the guest's eyes but half of them had been staring at me from the very beginning.

I found it rather funny that the moment my eyes caught theirs they would look away hurriedly.

"Blessings upon the king of the realm."

I turned around and barely managed to stifle a gasp.

A rather intriguing man or creature bowed to me.

This man wore clothes of expensive silk, whitish-blue skin with his long silver hair tied in a ponytail, his eyes glowing sapphires, behind his ears were two flappy slits which I realised with great astonishment, were gills.

This stranger belonged to the kingdom of Marines or so I guessed.

Who else here would have gills?

He smiled when his eyes met mine and I had a hard time hiding my frown.

If my memory serves me right then Alloria is ruled by a woman and not a male.

Then who is this?

"And I suppose this is the rumoured princess of Hellora." The man said snapping me out of my internal debate and I smiled nervously unsure how to react.

His beautiful looks had blown me off guard and before I could respond my brother cut him off.

"Aster." The king said as he scanned the room briefly. "Where is the Duchess?"

So my memory works just fine after all.

I watched the new stranger turn uneasy at my brother's words.

"Ah, that." The man called Aster seemed to flush a little. "I'm afraid she's occupied with another scandal."

Scandal?

"Of course she is." Dominic frowned in disapproval as if he wasn't surprised.

"Again?" Aiden snorted and Aster shrugged apologetically.

"How many times is this?" Christian mused seemingly amused.

"I'm afraid counting would do us no good your highness," Aster admitted sounding ashamed. "The Duchess likes to create trouble I'm afraid but she is managing the sea appropriately that I can assure you."

"What scandal?" I found myself asking curiously.

The four men exchanged looks.

"Not for your ears little one," Christian said as he patted my back and my eyes narrowed.

"Why can't I know?" I asked stubbornly.

"Because the Duchess likes to create trouble with men," Aiden answered instead. "In a particular area not meant for kids."

Oh.

My eyes widened in realisation and then narrowed at the same time.

"I'm eighteen," I grumbled. "Not eight."

"Alright, that's enough," Christian replied before we could bicker any further.

"I suppose giving Duchess Cassandra a visit would be for the best," Dominic muttered. "Besides my sister seems to have some business with your book records."