Pits Of Hell

"How many more?" I groaned slumping against the chair when Samuel put another set of sheets on the table.

"Lots more." The old man responded calmly. "Though I am surprised that you managed to finish everything halfway."

"It's not that difficult," I said nonchalantly before exhaling. "But it is exhausting."

"I suppose it is." The Advisor nodded he passed me the next sheet.

"Now these are a different batch. They don't involve the administration of the realm." The old man explained as he systematically stacked the pile. "These are related to the souls that are sent to hell."

I froze.

"Human souls?" I whispered looking at the vast list of names.

"Yes." Samuel nodded his head.

I swallowed.

Well, this is spooky.

"What am I signing it for?" I asked pausing.

"Their penalty of course." The Advisor answered. 

"Penalty?" I repeated with a raised brow.

"Well, surely you didn't think that souls that enter hell enjoy a lifelong vacation of paradise now do you?"

"No, but well-" I muttered looking out the window. "I mean this isn't so bad. As much as I have seen it, the realm is decent looking."

"My dear princess." The Advisor shook his head. "The demonic realm isn't hell."

Huh?

I whirled to Samuel astonished.

"Wasn't this supposed to be it?"

"Of course not." The Old man snorted. "This is far much better than the pits."

"Pits?" I repeated with a raised brow.

"Hell is located beneath the surface of the realm."  The Advisor explained with a sigh. "You must take the vertical tunnels to reach it. We call them the pits of hell."

"Pits of hell?" I questioned indecorously.

"That is where all guilty souls go to repent for the violations they've committed in the human world," Samuel said serenely as if this was totally a normal subject to speak about. "Ones that go against moral rules."

"How do I not know this?" I asked trying to recall the information from Helen's memories.

"That's because these are advanced lessons only taught once a demon child is thirteen." The Advisor explained.

"Oh," I said feeling foolish.

I glanced at the names again.

"But how do you decide which souls are penalised and which souls are not?" I questioned out of curiosity.

"We have a trial for that," Samuel responded removing his spectacles to wipe them.

"A trial?" I repeated blinking. "You hold a trial?"

"That's right," Samuel answered. "Sometimes demons that create trouble try to prey on weak souls to submit to their will. To make the humans do their bidding by force. Whereas sometimes humans are compelled to make wrong choices if the situation is such. Thus it is only fair if all of them get a chance to speak for themselves before the decision is passed."

"Well, that certainly is fair." I approved with a nod. "But as for those who are guilty, what happens to them?"

"Well they are sent to the pits and punished," Samuel said with a blank expression. "That's what Noble's are assigned with. They control the pits of hell. Punish souls to their pleasure so you can only imagine the extremes they would take it to."