The Last Straw

I closed my eyes sinking deeper into the hot water, letting the essence of the oils bring some peace to my mind.

This was just too complicated. I had just adjusted to the fact that I wasn't human, that I had brothers and on top of that I was a princess too but now new problems were rising by the minute and I don't think I had the patience to deal with them.

My sealed powers, my past, my brothers and now the noble's.

I groaned splashing some water to my face letting my palms stay there as if to stop my head from spinning but it didn't. Nothing did.

I couldn't get the noble's murderous stares out of my mind. It just kept flashing in my head.

Hostile, mocking and cold.

They wanted me to slip up. They were all waiting and it frustrated me even more.

Every single one of them expected me to keep it together. The scariest part was that if I didn't I was indirectly putting my brother's position at risk.

All these days I pushed the negative thoughts away but what I ignored was the frustration building inside me and now it was pushing all limits.

The was a knock on the closed door and I snapped my head back wearily.

"Are you sure you don't need me, your highness?"

"No Emily," I called out loudly hoping that my voice reaches her through the door. "I'm can handle myself."

"Be sure to give me a call in case you need something."

I sighed as I closed my eyes.

No privacy.

I stayed there for a long time which meant I was possibly going to catch a cold.

Dressed up in the garments that Emily had given me I walked out the door ready to head down for another one of those cursed lessons.

That's when Emily placed a bowl of what seemed like soup on the bedside table and in front of me.

"His Majesty has insisted that you have something to eat before you head downstairs," Merida said looking at me with concerned eyes. "Your body has been unstable ever since you had the dream."

"Okay." I nodded too tired to argue and she's right I did feel drained of all energy.

Merida watched me like a hawk as I ate while Emily kept encouraging me to eat more.

The soup was something I had never tasted before and I had to say it tasted a little weird, the texture rather grainy but I felt myself going for more since the tiredness in my body seemed to ebb away with each spoon.

I placed the empty bowl aside and wiped my mouth with a napkin as much in a ladylike manner as I possibly could.

Merida offered to walk down to the grounds with me which I didn't mind. I could see her glance wearily at me from the corner of my eye.

"Would you like to say something?" I muttered as Merida looked away immediately.

"It's nothing, your highness." She said hastily.

"You do know that you can speak your mind in front of me right?" I asked giving her a weak smile despite my sour mood. "I don't mind."

"It's just that-" Merida hesitated but I nodded encouraging her to continue. "Forgive me lady Helen but I'm worried because you haven't really been speaking much for a while and your bright nature seems to be dimming."

Well at least someone noticed.

I nodded as we neared to the ground. I could see my brothers figures at a distance.