The Talk

"Is this necessary?" I asked breathlessly struggling to stretch my hands to grab the utensil.

Why am I struggling to pick up a mere fork you may ask?

Well how about: because I have been tied to a godforsaken chair...

"Well no, not really." My teacher responded as he returned to correcting the pieces of parchment with a feather quill. "But I think it adds a bit of spark to the lesson, don't you?"

I stared at the advisor speechless.

I swear I would throw a fork at him if only I could reach it.

"I can't do this." I huffed as I retracted my aching hand from the table.

When I said I would prove everyone that I have what it takes to be a royal, being tied to a chair by the shoulder wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

"Yes you can." Samuel insisted and I closed my eyes to prevent myself from shouting at him. He has been inflicting torture on me for what felt like several hours. I have been reading books, making notes, learning how to walk properly and mind you Samuel wasn't as lenient as my brother.

"Well this is an interesting sight."

"Aiden!" I called out extremely happy to see my brother for the first time.

Aiden looked surprised by my display of delight.

"Did you hit your head in the middle of your lessons?"

I shoot him a glare as he leans against the table.

"Your highness." Samuel got up from his seat giving my brother a slight bow.

"Torturing my sister already, Old man?"

"I am merely teaching the princess manners that I clearly failed to teach you." The Advisor sat down again not bothering to hide the disapproval in his tone.

"And I didn't turn out so bad either." My brother grinned and for the first time the advisor and I exchanged identical looks with the same thought in mind.

At least we agreed on something.

"Anyway I'm here to take Helen," Aiden said and I immediately perked up. "Dominic needs to talk to her before he leaves."

You know what, on a second thought I think I'd rather remain tied up to the chair.

"You can take her." The Advisor says waving his hand not bothering to look up from his parchments.

Just great.

Aiden immediately turns around and walks away leaving me staring after him in irritation.

Does he expect me to come with the god damn chair attached?!

"Aiden." I hiss feeling rather sore with his jokes.

"Yes?" He asked as he looks at me innocently over his shoulder.

"Could you please untie me?" I grit out.

"Oh right I completely forgot about that." My brother comes back with a mocking grin plastered on his face.

"Haha." I enunciate sarcastically as I glare at him with a scowl.

My brother united me thankfully and walks ahead.

"I'm uh-" I look at the old man waiting to be excused.

"Yes, yes." He bobs his head waving his hand dismissively. "You are excused."

I exhale as I walk away to catch up with my brother.