Tea Party

I played nervously with the lace in my dress biting my lips in bubbling anticipation as I looked at the reflection of my weary eyes in the mirror.

"It's not too late to cancel," Dominic calmly suggested coming to stand beside me.

I stopped my fidgeting, somehow managing to conjure a determined look.

"No chance."

My brother smiled to himself, satisfied with my answer.

"Well in that case," I stilled as my brother placed a gentle kiss on my forehead.

"I wish you good luck." He said as he drew back.

"Thanks," I said shyly as I watched him disappear into the corridors.

Christian and Aiden had already lent me their good wishes earlier but knowing my brothers wouldn't be around me for the rest of the event, gained an unsettling feeling in the pits of my stomach.

I took in a deep breath trying to calm my nerves.

Calm down, Sage. Everything will work out just fine.

The thought however did not provide me as much comfort as I would have liked.

I sighed as I massaged my temple.

I had to do this. I couldn't let my brothers take the weight of everything by themselves.

"Your highness?" Merida knocked on the door of my room to get my attention.

"Yes?" I turned to her with my best fake smile.

"They're here."

"I see." I released a puff of air once more before standing up.

Alright then, time to get to work.

Walking to the dining hall, I could feel my nerves jumble. It took me all my self-control to not chicken out and make a run for it.

I bit the insides of my cheeks, probably drawing out blood but it didn't matter.

It would work.

I would make it work.

I put up a smile just as Merida opened the door to the dining room to reveal a collection of young girl's dressed in their best individual attires.

The colourful group immediately stooped in a bow as soon as they had glanced in my direction.

"Greetings to the princess of the empire."

"I will be guarding the door," Merida said and I nodded before entering the room.

I clasped my left palm with my right swallowing back the nerves as the door shut behind me.

"I'd like to thank each one of you for making time to attend my tea party." I managed to utter smoothly. "I hope you all have a great time."

Scanning the crowd my eyes zeroed upon the ginger standing a little away from the group.

Edith gave me a grin as she straightened up and I shot one right back earning looks from the other ladies but I couldn't bring myself to give a damn.

Edith was probably the most trustworthy and ethical lady in the entire group.

"Why don't we all sit down," I suggested as the palace maidens including Emily drew the chairs back.

I muttered a quiet thank you to my handmaiden as we all sat down.

Emily nodded smiling and taking her place near the walls.