Confrontation

I whirled around my back hitting the door noisily.

"What do you think you're doing?" I flattered under his burning gaze that left my nerves in a knot.

"I'm not very sure." Kai seated on the armchair responded calmly unlike my frenzy state.

"It's not polite to enter someone's room without their permission." I forced myself to say despite feeling like the perfect hypocrite.

"Funny you say that." The Duke chuckled darkly. "Because it seems that a certain unwelcomed guest had paid my room a little visit while I had gone training."

Crap.

Was he was onto me?

"Is that so?" I questioned trying to keep my voice from shaking.

I walked closer to show him that I wasn't feeling intimidated.

"Yes." Kai smiled, the gleam in his eyes almost taunting as he too got up from his seat. "What's even funnier is-"

I stood my ground trying my best to keep eye contact even though all I wanted was to dash for the door.

"You've been running from me ever since."

I swallowed my heartbeat turning unstable as his face hovered right above mine.

"You couldn't even look me in the eye for some reason."

His green eyes looked vibrant, like a hunter who had successfully cornered his prey.

"I'm looking at you now," I muttered my perseverance dissolving with each passing second.

"Oh?" Kai dipped closer and my heart officially stopped working.

I breathed in nervously.

"Then why do they look so guilty?"

My will to keep quiet gave away unable to retain resilience under his burning gaze.

I couldn't help but look down after that.

I did feel guilty about suspecting him but I would still do it again because I couldn't put my family at risk which is why I just couldn't bring myself to look up.

However, Kai on the other hand didn't plan to leave me alone just like that.

Using his index finger he firmly lifted my face up leaving his finger under my chin to keep me from looking back down.

"Don't you think you owe me an explanation Sage?"

I winced when he used my name.

Gone were the friendly bright eyes that I was used to, replaced by dark and demanding orbs with traces of anger in them.

"I-"

My heart was racing at our close proximity,

I had to get away from his domineering eyes.

I was about to use my right hand to put some space between us but I wasn't given the opportunity to.

"Don't even think about it."

As if reading my mind Kai grabbed my hand swiftly and twisted it behind my back pulling us closer, leaving me no room to escape or avoid his eyes.

Ah, crap.

"I'll ask you one last time princess."

Heat rushed to my cheeks as Kai's other hand wrapped gently around my chin to lift it even further up.