What It Takes

"Don't forget your place."

The room turned deadly silent as I felt my heart rate increase. A shiver ran down my spine as the atmosphere turned rather chilly all of a sudden.

"Don't ever suggest something like that again." Dominic didn't raise his voice but the sudden iciness in his tone could freeze anyone's tongue.

"Yes, your highness." The advisor responded surprisingly calm.

Another brief pause.

"I respect you because you are my fathers oldest friend and my teacher but don't forget your place, Samuel."

"I won't dare to your majesty." The Advisor said. "Forgive me if I crossed the line."

An elongated silence followed making me wonder if they had indeed left but Dominic spoke up before I needed to check. 

"Why do I feel like you have something more to say?" My brother sighed.

"I won't utter another word if you don't want me to your highness," Samuel replied sincerely. 

"Just get it over with," Dominic mumbled sounding tired.

I could hear someone take a deep breath, probably the advisor.  

"My words may have sounded wrong to you but I think what I said may be in the best interest of the princess as well. As bright as she may be, Princess Helen will be like a goat you are giving up for slaughter on the day of the ball." He said. "The princess is innocent of our ways. Pure if you may. She is kind and our world is known for destroying every last trace of goodness it can find. I haven't just taken care of you or your brothers your majesty, I have taken care of the princess too as a child. Maybe I am incapable of expressing affections but I do know how to express my concerns and my number one concern at the moment is her safety."

I could comprehend the honest tone the advisor's voice had suddenly dipped into. It made me realize that maybe I had taken his words the wrong way but I was still a little mad.

Partly because I was offended by what he had said.

"If you truly have concerns for her then teach her everything you know. I am trusting you with her Samuel. Don't let me down."

A pause once more.

"As you command."

"Good," Dominic concluded satisfied.

The footsteps resounded around the room once more and I realized that they were actually coming down.

Oh boy...

I sucked in a deep breath before looking to the side and my eyes met with my brother's steely ones just as he ended his descent down the stairs.

I'm in big trouble.

The Advisor who was stepping down right behind him froze in his place.

"Princess?"

"Uh..." I began unable to come up with proper words. "I-"

"How long have you been standing there?"

I winced at my brother's cold tone nervously playing with my fingers.

"A little while," I admitted.

My brother looked at me with narrowed eyes as he walked ahead.

"How much did you hear?"

I looked down at my feet the words feeling stuck in my throat.

"A bit," I responded meekly. "I didn't want to interrupt you."

"Really? And not because you wanted to hear more?" My brother added and I bit my cheeks.

It's not like I did it on purpose. Well, technically I did.

"It was about me," I said looking up to match my brothers gaze defensively. "I think I had the right to know."

Dominic pursed his lips and stared at me for a moment to convey his disapproval before looking at my dress.

"What are you wearing?" He asked his brows raised.

"I asked the sew mistress to make it for me because I can't stand the heavy gowns," I replied without hesitation.

"You do realize that's against the dress code right?" He asked quietly while the Advisor continued to study us curiously. "People might disapprove."

I gazed at my brother before smiling.

Well didn't someone just say I didn't act like a royal? What better moment to start acting like one than right this instance?

"But I am the princess of hell," I said looking straight at the Advisor. "I don't think anyone has the right nor galls to tell me what I can or cannot wear."

Dominic looked surprised at first but when he intercepted the direction of my gaze his expression turned amused.

"I suppose you would want to start the lesson?" He turned to the Advisor who simply nodded in response. 

"You and I will have a talk later." My brother said before he left leaving a promise of a possible lecture behind. I swallowed. 

Guess I won't be getting off the hook after all. 

"If you did hear it all," I turned back as the Advisor began to speak. "Then why did her Majesty not say something?"

I frowned at him before taking in a deep breath.

"Though it was about me, the conversation wasn't mine to interrupt," I responded. 

"What about now?" The old man asked pushing his spectacles back. "Do you have something to say?" 

"Actually..." I began with a small smile. "I do." 

"And that is?" He questioned.

I looked the Advisor in the eye radiating all the firmness and confidence I could muster, through it. 

"I do have what it takes," I said with certainty.

The old man smiled. 

"We'll see about that." 

He turned away from me as he walked ahead and I followed behind hastily.

Viola was right. I have grown attached to my brothers, more than I was willing to admit. When the old man asked Dominic to send me back it wasn't happiness that gripped me, it was fear. Fear of losing the family that I had finally found, fear of losing the missing piece that finally made my life complete, fear of never having my brothers be a part of my life again. 

The notion of it scared me. 

Which is why I have come to the conclusion that I made. 

If I have to face nobles and demons to continue being with my family, so be it. 

I am not going to change myself to suit the likes of anyone but I will prove it to every single one of them that I have what it takes to be the princess of hell. 

If it's a fight they want, then it's a fight they will get.