The Centre Of Attention

I smiled forcefully as I sipped on my drink being surrounded and having no escape route whatsoever.

Merida stood in the shadows but I knew even she couldn't help me in this situation.

It took me all my strength to keep Aiden from running after Kai and asking him to dance seemed to be the only alternative available.

Aiden being the beefy man he was, literally had me floating in the air the entire song as he took the lead.

Christian cut in after one song and ignoring Aiden's protest took his turn as my dance partner and I felt a brief tinge of pride to admit that I did not step on his foot this time.

Since I had already met up with all the heads of the noble families, it was time for me to socialize with ladies of my age which leads to the situation that I am presently stuck in.

Surrounded on all fours by giggling and gossiping stuck up high-born ladies.

Staying quiet and simply smiling away seemed like a good choice at the moment.

I wasn't trying to be rude on purpose but these ladies were out to get me. I thought I was overthinking it at first but as our conversation proceeded it became clear that I wasn't going to have a peaceful chat by any means.

"The King and Princes truly favour you." One of the girl's Larissa if I remember right gushed as she looked at my waiting for me to react.

All except that I didn't.

"I suppose," I answered with a small smile as I watched a look of pure irritation cross Larissa's face.

Larissa happened to be the daughter of a Count and she seemed to be the bossiest one here.

"You must be relieved that you are favoured," Vanessa commented as she gave me an innocent glance.

They thought I didn't see it, but their giggles couldn't hide the burning envy, nor the sugary smiles of their ill intentions but well two could play this game.

"There is nothing to be relieved about," I responded calmly. "I am their sister as they are my brother's and they treat me as well as they are supposed to."

If only I could send my cup flying at them.

I smiled momentarily to myself imagining the scene.

Yup, hanging around my brothers had turned me into a devil alright.

"Really?" Another girl whose name I couldn't remember piped up from the side her tone mocking. "But you never really know when you will lose their favour. You can't ever be too-"

"I'm touched the lady cares for me," I said my tone turning stony with annoyance. "And you are right, I can never know when I will lose their favour."

"Yes, that's right." The girl said as she proudly grasped her curls, twirling them.

I smiled.

"So would you mind coming with me so I can ask them?"

The circle grew deadly silent as my smile widened. 

"I beg your pardon?" The girl froze her eyes widening like saucers.

"Why don't you come with me so we can go ask the King himself about this problem?" I flashed her my teeth, the irritation evident in my eyes as all the ladies shifted uncomfortably. "Actually since you all seem to be so concerned about my favorability, why don't we all go?"

All the girls flushed under my icy gaze.

I think I've been around Dominic a little too much.

"Do excuse me," I muttered dryly. "I don't have time for childish squabbles."