Preparations

Yup.

I was going to get someone killed.

I winced when the thorned snare I had been meaning to extend only an inch sprung forward two feet.

It had been hours since I had been practising from the sudden pressure of passing whatever my brother would present in front of me.

"You're getting better." Merida tried her best to put on a smile but her weary eyes betrayed her.

"I suck at it." I put it simply.

"Your powers are just potent my lady," Merida explained urgingly. "Hence it is a little difficult for you to control them."

"It just keeps getting out of hand," I muttered frustrated.

"Maybe that's because you're so stressed."

I whirled around to find Kai walking towards us.

"I have the reasons to be," I responded.

What was he doing here anyway?

"Don't you have any tasks to attend to?" I questioned feeling embarrassed about being seen like this.

"I can get to that later." The Duke shrugged. "Why don't you try relaxing?"

"You think I haven't tried?"

As if getting used to my powers wasn't enough, I also had to a test that I did not have a single clue about.

"You're a Zythan Princess." Kai reminded me calmly. "Your greatest weapon is your mind and all your powers depends on its state. So the more anxious or unfocused you are, the worse you will perform."

I shut up for a second pondering over his words.

Not going to lie, that did make sense.

I was so nervous while practising because I wanted to be acknowledged by Aiden that I forgot to maintain a clear mind.

"Okay." I nodded.

"Try again," Kai said as he tapped his knuckles gently on my forehead. "You're too fierce to be subdued by something as small as a test."

Slapping his hand away I huffed under my breath.

"Fine," I said flustered by his words.

"Now try to move them towards me," Kai instructed moving away from me to stand in the opposite direction at a small distance.

"What if I lose control again?" I hesitated. "I'll just end up injuring you."

"I'm not so delicate." Kai snorted. "And besides..."

He smiled coyly.

"I trust you."

I looked away feeling slightly embarrassed.

They all had faith in me.

Kai, Merida, Christian and Dominic.

Even Aiden.

And I wasn't about to disappoint them.

I looked back at the snared thorns clearing my head.

I had to focus if I wanted to get anywhere or I was just wasting everyone's time.

Kai was right. My greatest weapon was my mind and as long as I had proper control over it, I could do what I needed to.

I breathed in deeply preparing myself.

I would do it properly this time.

For my family.

The thorned snare untangled from its bush.