A Dance And A Tug Of War

"You're late." The old man briefly looked up from the book as Kai gently closed the door behind me, his stare on the back of my head. "My greetings to you Duke."

"And mine to you, royal Advisor." Kai nodded as the advisor stood up to give a low bow. "Do excuse my presence and carry on with your class. I will keep myself entertained with some books."

"I would suggest the last section to the right wall." The Advisor said with a slight smile. "They are quite informative if I do say so myself."

Informative?

Kai and the Advisor share a brief look before the duke nods and excuses himself.

The old man never speaks without having has some kind of hidden meaning to his words.

I stare at him suspiciously as he disappears behind the racks.

"Come along now." The Advisor interrupts my thoughts as he shuts the book he had been reading. "We have much to cover for the ball."

"For the ball?" I repeated surprised. "So we're not doing history?"

"I'm afraid not." Samuel simply said crossing his arms gracefully. "Today we need to do some final touches so that you can be ready."

He points to the chair.

"Sit."

I bite my cheeks wondering just what kind of torture I will be undergoing before snapping myself from my jittery nerves to slide down on the said chair.

"No, that will not do." The Advisor says immediately briefly startling me.

"What do you mean will not do?" I questioned confused. "I haven't done anything yet."

"Oh, but you have. A lady, especially a princess is expected to sit properly." He explains motioning to my position. "Certainly not with her legs spread wide like that."

I blush bright crimson and I am sure I heard a light chuckle coming from the bookshelves.

At least someone was enjoying himself.

I grit my teeth in annoyance, "And in just what manner is a princess expected to sit then?"

"Her go-to sitting position comprises of keeping her knees and ankles tightly together and slanting her legs to the side." The old man instructed as he gestured for me to duplicate the death trap, which I could not quite figure out.

Damn it why was it so hard?

I awkwardly crossed my legs, my foot only getting tangled.

"How in the-" I scream as I lose my balance while intervening my legs and fall sideways from the chair.

It's not like I had embarrassed myself enough already right?

"Ouch." I whimper lowly massaged my sour arm as the Advisor standing above me shakes his head.

"We certainly have much to cover." He muttered as a hand appeared before me.

"You should probably get up."

"You think?" I grumble in annoyance as I take Kai's hand. "Would it kill someone if you ignore etiquettes for once?"

"It just might in your case." The Advisor responded with a snort.

"Of course," I mutter sarcastically under my breath. "Why am I not surprised?"

"Go easy on yourself princess," Kai said with a slight frown of disapproval. "This is fairly your first go at royal etiquettes. You'll get a hang of it in a while."