The Agreement Of The Past

Dominic leans back in his chair exhaling.

"And what did you see?" He asked not looking the least bit surprised.

"Our younger selves," I responded as I looked at him. "I think I saw a memory."

Dominic gazed at me with a solemn expression etched across his serene face.

Of course, he was going to be calm about this, I thought with a mental scoff. How very typical.

"I suppose you have questions." He mused as I nodded gradually trying to arrange the jumble of questions in my head into an organized format.

I had too many but I asked what was I found most important.

"Who exactly is Kai?"

All this time watching Kai talk to my brother made it clear that they had a complicated bond. Sure I knew that Dominic had killed his father to protect me, a story that I still did not know about and yet Kai had offered me protection, had never acted the same way he did with my brother's so it all comes down to this...who is he?

My brother leaned forward.

"Kai is the son of the late Duke and successor of Titan. The commander of Shield's."

I froze as the words came tumbling down.

My eyes widened as I remembered the kid in my dream and his words.

I am the son of the duke!

So that makes him the prevailing Duke!

"His father the Duke, was a close confidant of our father." Dominic continued despite the astonishment visible on my face but his words snapped me out of my shock almost instantly.

"But you said he tried to harm..."

"He did try to harm you." My brother nodded with a cold edge to his tone. "But I believe he wasn't in his senses."

I frowned.

Not in his senses?

"What do you mean?" I questioned perplexed.

"We think he was poisoned and controlled."

That only made me more confused.

"Controlled? But how?"

"Mind control is a very rare ability Sage but it isn't unheard of in the demon world," Dominic told me calmly. "We call them Zythan's. Demonic beings who could get into anybody's head. May it be human's, animals or other demons. A Zythan can take control of their mind and do whatever they want with the host."

"Host?" I asked confused yet awed at the same time.

"The Body that they are controlling is called host since the person has no control over their body or themselves," Dominic explained at length. "So they serve as an empty vessel."

Well, that's scary and fascinating at the same time.

"These Zythan's," I said gradually. "Do they exist now?"

"Very few who can hardly even control human's let alone demonic being's." Dominic shrugged nonchalantly. "For that to happen they need to have their prey's mind in the weakest of forms."

I blinked as Dominic's previous words came back to me.

"So Kai's father..." I gasped as it struck me.

"Was being controlled by someone who had weak mind-controlling abilities." My brother nodded in confirmation. "You must remember that every Duke from the four noble families are the strongest individual's Hell has to offer. That is apart from the pure-blooded demons who you may know as the Nobles."