Seven

a/n: In case you were wondering who Jang Yijeong is, is got this character from El Capitxn. He is a producer/songwriter who worked on some of Bighit songs like Telepathy, Daechwita and Ghosting (and more). I don't have actual knowledge whether he's close with IU and Yoongi in real life. I just think his character would fit well in the story since the three of them worked on my favorite song, Eight💜

"Tangerines?"

Jieun felt a sudden rush of embarassment. Why did she even bother offering Yoongi a Christmas gift when she obviously hated him? And why, of all the possible gifts, did she consider giving him tangerines?

Yijeong was confused as well, but he remembered one detail about Yoongi. He smiled as he watched Yoongi's eyes sparkle at the sight of the fruits.

"Sorry. I haven't prepared anything to give you. I have no idea Yijeong would be bringing a guest." Jieun was fidgeting, unsure of what she was saying.

"It's okay, Jieun-ssi. You shouldn't really bother."

"You gave me a gift. I should be doing the same."

"No, it's really fine if you don't give me one back. I totally understand."

"Well if you don't like my gift, I'm not forcing you." Jieun seemed to get irritated even if there was no reason to. Hating the young man was like an automatic response from her brain.

"I never said I don't like your gift, Jieun-ssi." Yoongi defended himself.

"You never said, but it's obvious."

Yijeong, who enjoyed watching them earlier got anxious with the exchange of words between his two friends. He was afraid that the petty argument would result in another fight like what happened eleven years ago. We would give anything just for him not to experience the consequences of that fight again.

June 2009

"Your call cannot be completed as dialed. Please check the number and dial again."

It has been three days since Yijeong last saw Jieun. He was getting more worried. The comeback was fast approaching and the singer was nowhere to be found. She obviously turned off her phone like what she always do everytime she's upset. He tried to understand everything that happened—from the fight between Jieun and Yoongi, to the hurtful stare and words that Jieun left before she walked out of the studio. He still couldn't make anything out of it. He knows he's not the only one to blame with all the unfortunate events that have followed.

But that was not the case. Of course, he was the one who catched all the harsh words their boss had said. He was scolded and even threatened to get fired if Jieun breaks her contract. Yijeong was carrying everything all by himself.

He wanted to hate Jieun. He was starting to enjoy his passion and at the same time make money out of it at a very young age. He was making his dreams come true, but now, there's a huge risk of losing everything just because of his brat best friend. Yes, he couldn't deny that Jieun was indeed a brat.

However, he just couldn't hate her. She was like a sister to him. She helped him get the job, helped him financially when he was just starting and struggling with living alone. She was even his personal cupid, the one who brought Sooyoung to his once boring life. Jieun was like his angel and he knows that hating her would break her heart.

Mind full of thoughts, Yijeong almost fell from his chair when he was surprised by a loud knock on his studio. He managed to open the door and there she was, the girl he's been looking for.

"Jieun! Finally! Where have you been?"

Jieun did not answer. Instead, tears started flowing from her eyes. Yijoung was supposed to scold her, but the sight of his dear best friend crying crushed his heart.

"Jieun, what's wrong? What happened?"

"It's over, Yijeong. My career is over."

Yijeong just can't believe the words Jieun had said. He stood by the studio's door with a blank expression, trying to absorb what the girl had uttered. He was secretly hoping that everything was just one of the pranks Jieun used to make when they were still kids. But everything was far from being just a joke.

"It's PD-nim...we...we talked earlier. He was very disappointed. I was not even given a chance to explain. He...he said I was useless. He insulted me. He..." Jieun couldn't even finish her words. She was crying and shaking so hard.

Yijeong hugged her tight. He felt the pain Jieun was going through. He began crying too, secretly wiping every single tear he had shed. He needed to be strong for Jieun. He needed to protect her.

"Jieun, calm down. We'll try to talk it over with PD-nim. I'm sure he'll give you a chance. Maybe he was just very stressed because of the comeback and you being missing. Let's try to understand him, okay?"

Jieun seemed to be lost. She was crying so much that she was starting to feel weak. Her dreams were slowly fading, all because of her own fault. She was starting to calm down when their boss suddenly barged into the studio. The latter's eyes immediately found Jieun.

"Why are you still here? I already told you to leave!" There was nothing but anger in his voice. Jieun was too scared to speak.

"Sir, please give Jieun a chance. You can't just end her career anytime you want to. She's under a contract." Yijeong felt that he needed to defend his best friend. She may have caused a big trouble, but their boss' decision was way too harsh for her.

"She violated her contract so I have no choice but to terminate her. I already told you this, Jieun." he turned to the crying girl. "I do not tolerate this kind of behaviour from any of my artists."

"But she already apologized. And we're doing our best to prepare for the comeback."

"There's no comeback waiting for her anymore! And if you keep on insisting, you're going to take the same fate, Jang Yijeong!"

"I refuse, sir. You can't fire me!"

"And why is that?"

"Because I quit!"

"Jang Yijeong! You can't quit just because you want to!"

"Well you know what, sir? Fuck you! And fuck this filthy company! I quit!"

Yijeong quickly picked up his laptop and bag, grabbed Jieun's hand and ran away outside the studio. Their PD-nim, the man who use to be their boss was left alone, still stunned.

"Whew! That was insane!" Yijeong felt tired after reaching a few blocks aways from the company's premises. "Let's get some coffee, Jieun."

Jieun was suprised to see Yijeong acting like nothing happened. She was still catching her breath, lost for words. She just let her best friend drag her into a cafe Yijeong spotted.

"Yijeong, what are you doing? We need to get back. We'll lose out job." Jieun finally spoke.

"Jieun, there's no turning back anymore. We are finally free!" Yijoung wiped Jieun's tears and smiled. "Jieunie, it's time to begin again."

**

a/n: I hope I don't get anyone confused with the story's timeline. There will be a lot of flashbacks and are narrated depending on the character getting the flashback (e.g. Yijeong in this chapter), so the stories are not really arranged in order (argh i'm sorry I can't explain it clearly🥺). I really hope you'll understand and enjoy it though, like a roller coaster ride, I guess😁