Twenty-six

"So what do you exactly want me to do? Disturb their date and cause a scene? Hell no. I'm not gonna do it."

"Aish, you're overreacting. I was just telling you that JK asked Jieun for a date."

"And what do you expect me to do with that information?"

Yijeong rolled his eyes. He wanted to believe that Jieun was his one and only stubborn friend, but unfortunately, he's got another one.

"Ahh I give up! I just wanted you to know, Yoons. That's all.

"Okay, and I'm just asking you what am I gonna do. I mean, I don't have to know, Yijeong."

Maybe Yoongi was right. Yijeong saw how his friend's smile dropped the moment he shared the news. He only wanted to help. He knew what Jieun means to Yoongi and somehow, he was hoping for a happy story for both of them.

For a while, both kept silent. Yoongi appeared to act cool about it, but no one knows how affected he was.

June 2009

"Seriously?!"

Yijeong swore he never heard Yoongi this hyped up before. Not even when they win their rap competitions.

"Yeah, and I really need it as soon as possible. My brain's gonna explode thinking about how to solve this problem."

"Okay, okay. I got this. I'll bring you my demo. This is my best one, so far."

"Thank you, Yoons."

Yoongi couldn't contain the happiness and excitement he felt when Yijeong called him and asked for a favor. Apparently, his friend needs a song for Jieun's comeback.

Yes, a song for Jieun. The angel who saved her, the tangerine girl. Finally, he found a chance to return the favor to her.

He hurriedly saved his most prized possession, his masterpiece in the flashdrive, took out his bicycle and rushed to Yijeong's studio.

"No shit! This is so good, Yoons!" Yijeong was bopping along to the beat of the song.

Yoongi felt proud. But now that he was at the studio waiting for Jieun to arrive, he was slowly getting nervous.

"But there's one problem, bro. Jieun sings pop and ballad. She never tried singing this genre before."

"I think it will be good for her to try something new. You know, many artists take the risk and succeed. Besides, she's got no time left."

"Alright, let's see. I think she'll love it anyway."

He was silently watching the sleepy girl approach Yijeong's laptop and put on the earphones. He observed her face and looked for any reaction from her. There was none. He suddenly felt like leaving.

"I don't like it."

Yoongi's eyes grew big. "Is she talking about my song? How could someone not like my song?" He whispered the words to himself. He couldn't hold back how upset he was so he barged in to the conversation.

"Well, your singer doesn't seem interested, Yijeongie. You need to find another piece, I guess."

And that was one of his biggest regrets.

"I fucked up big time, right?"

"Yes, Yoongi. You fucked up big time."

"I fucking hate myself." He sighed loudly, hands on his face.

"Why did you even do that? I was completely shocked."

"I don't know bro. I mean...I told you that that song was my best one. She insulted it. It's enough for me to snap."

"Well I kinda understand. I just never thought you'll do that with Jieun. You literally called her your angel."

"I guess I still don't know her enough."

July 2009

"Too late, bro. She quit."

"What?!"

"No, she didn't quit. She was fired." Yijeong was staring at the flashdrive he was holding.

"What do you mean she was fired? What happened Yijeong?"

After their argument, Yoongi felt so frustrated that as soon as he got home, he worked on the same song, changing the beat and the melody to something that would fit Jieun's genre. He didn't stop until he was satisfied with the output.

When he finally made it, he was in conflict as to whether he should give it to Yijeong for Jieun or keep it and release it someday to prove her wrong. Half of him wanted to help Jieun so bad. The other half wanted to teach the girl a lesson.

And it took almost a month for Yoongi to decide. Sadly, it was too late. Guilt ate him up, thinking that he was not able to save her back. He missed the chance to help her. He missed the chance to get close to her.

"Whatever Yoons." Yijeong was about to make fun of his friend more, but he stopped when the latter, without any word, left the studio.

Yoongi stood by the lobby and took out his phone from his pocket. Leaning on the wall, he dialed a number.

"Hi. Are you free this Saturday afternoon?"