Eighteen

"She keeps on sleeping during afternoons so I think she won't notice I'm gone until dinner. I promise to come back at five."

"Or make it earlier. I think this is a bad idea."

"Don't worry, hyung. Whatever it is that's making you and noona don't get along, I think you need to talk about it. Now is the time. There's no sense in hiding."

Beomgyu somehow got a hint that Yoongi and Jieun were not in good terms, although he thought that everything was just work-related. It was Yoongi's third time to visit Jieun. The last one did not go well since he was too nervous to face the lady. He told Beomgyu some of his concerns, including the song they were working on together, and the latter wanted to help. Yoongi was back to try again and this time, Beomgyu had an idea.

"I'll leave the two of you alone. But you behave!" Beomgyu cutely threatened Yoongi. "Don't hurt her or make her cry. Or else—"

"You don't have to worry, Beomgyu. You can trust me. Anyway, the ride I booked for you is already outside. Yijeong is waiting for you at the studio."

"Thank you hyung! You're the best!" Beomgyu high fived Yoongi before leaving.

Closing the door, Yoongi took a deep breath. He almost couldn't believe that he was alone with Jieun at her apartment. He was insisting on himself that this was a stupid idea, but he just couldn't leave. Somehow, he wanted to take care of her.

He took the bag of groceries that he brought with him to the kitchen. There, he unpacked everything and prepared himself. He was going to cook dinner.

May 2008

"Yoongi! What are you doing there?"

Upon seeing Yijeong alone, Yoongi jumped out of the bushes and shaked the leaves stuck in his hair.

"You fool! Who are you hiding from?" Yijeong helped his friend remove more leaves.

"That girl. You know her?"

"What girl?"

"The one you were with."

"Oh! Jieunie? You know her?"

"I found her."

Yijeong's eyes grew bigger when he realized what Yoongi was talking about.

"The tangerine girl!"

Yoongi bit his lower lip, forcing himself not to show any sign of emotion. He didn't even know what he was feeling at the moment.

"What a small world!" Yijeong exclaimed, looking so excited. "She's my bestfriend!"

"Really?"

"Yeah! We grew up together. So after all this time, it was Jieun. Who would have thought?!"

Jieun. He tried to memorize her name, just like how he memorized her face on their first encounter. Jieun was the name of the girl who saved him.

The night when he and Jieun met by the bus stop, Yoongi was already hopeless. He just wanted to quit, to give up on life. He thought that he would rather freeze to death than face his father. When Jieun found him and offered him some tangerines, he found some warmth that he could not explain. The girl gave him some strength to hold on.

He tried to search for her that night, but he failed. However, he was led to somewhere and someone he was not expecting at all.