Thirty-four

"I'll go with you. Let's go see Holly."

Yoongi couldn't believe what he just heard. It felt like one of his dreams, where Jieun was nice to him again.

Are my dreams finally turning into reality?

He started driving, feeling bittersweet emotions of mixed worry and happiness.

Thirty minutes have passed, yet there was still silence between the two. Neither wanted to start a conversation. The song on the radio was on its low volume, making it a bit uncomfortable for the both of them.

"Jieun—"

"Yoon—"

They both started speaking at the same time, making it even more awkward.

"You go first, Jieun-ssi."

"No, you go first. Mine's not that important anyway."

Yoongi stopped insisting further because he knew how Jieun was so short-tempered with such arguments.

"Uhm, I was just gonna ask what made you decide to go with me."

"I don't know, I think I was worried about Holly. I mean, I haven't seen him for a long time and when you told me about what happened, I got scared." Jieun faced the window and watched the bright spring skies. "Also, I don't think you should drive alone."

"Are you worried about me, Jieun-ssi?"

"Yes. Ah, no!!! Of course, not! I mean, I think you hardly had any sleep and it's my fault so I guess it's just proper that I'm here to assist you if you get tired of driving. Don't get the wrong impression, okay?"

"Okayyyy." Yoongi wore his gummy smile once again. He knew that Jieun was lying, but he allowed her to get away with it. "Holly will be happy to see you again."

"I don't think he'll still remember me. But I hope he does. And I hope he's okay now."

"I hope so, too."

There was another moment of silence. Yoongi turned up the volume of the radio to avoid the awkward atmosphere.

"Is that your voice, Yoongi-ssi?"

Yoongi felt embarassed. It was too late to change the song now. "Yes. It's from my mixtape."

"You have a mixtape?"

"Yeah. I released it last year before I went back here. It's...it's nothing, really. I guess it's a flop."

"Well, this song doesn't sound like flop to me. It's cool."

Yoongi was surprised. He wanted to take a look at Jieun's reaction, but his eyes were fixed on the busy road.

"I thought you don't like hiphop."

"People do change, Min Yoongi. Now let me listen to your full mixtape."

Yoongi couldn't be any happier. The sudden change of Jieun's attitude towards him is almost too good to be true. He selected his mixtape on his phone's playlists and they began listening to the tracks. Two hours later, they found themselves vibing to the beat of his songs.

"Hey, I'm hungry. Let's grab some lunch. I think you're also tired of driving." Jieun suggested.

"Okay, let's look for somewhere to eat."

They found a small kimbap place where they had their lunch. After eating, they continued driving until they reached Daegu. It was almost three in the afternoon when they arrived at the veterinary clinic where Holly was brought.