Eight

Afraid of what might possibly happen, Yijeong felt the need to interfere with the conversation.

"Yoongi bro, what a pleasant surprise, isn't it?"

Jieun's eyes were now focused on Yijeong. She was waiting for her bestfriend to spill some more.

"I mean, of all the gifts, it's tangerines that you got!" Yijeong added.

"I don't know what your issue with tangerines is, but like what I told you earlier, if you don't like my gift, you can just leave it here." Jieun was about to get the basket when Yoongi tried to grab it at the same time. Unfortunately, he mistakenly held Jieun's hand instead. Yoongi flinched and quickly removed his cold hand holding the very flustered Jieun.

"I'm sorry..." Yoongi could only imagine how red he was from blushing. "please don't take them away." He was of course referring to the tangerines. "I appreciate your gift, Jieun-ssi. In fact, I love them. I love tangerines."

"Yoon is a tangerine fan." Yijeong interrupted. He couldn't hide his big smile this time. He found the interaction between his two friends too cute.

"Oh." Jieun was still fazed with what happened. "Okay." She went silent. Jieun was expecting that her gift would upset the young man which would make it easier to send them home. She was trying to find an excuse to avoid the current situation from getting more uncomfortable.

"Anyway, it's getting late. I think you need to drive back home." She was probably talking to Yijeong but her eyes never left Yoongi. "Is it just me or is he really blushing?" She was talking to herself again.

Yoongi couldn't keep an eye contact with Jieun. Maybe she was right. He's a coward. The night could've been a good chance to talk to her, but he never had any bit of courage to do so. And now, they were being asked to leave.

"Right. Come on, Yoongi. Let's go. We'll be back some other time, for another date. Is that okay, Jieun?" Yijeong turned his evil smile on. Teasing Jieun was his expertise.

Jieun shot a glare at her bestfriend. She knew he was just making fun of her.

"Bye Jieun. See you on Monday!" Yijeong hugged Jieun before heading to the door.

"Goodbye, Jieun-ssi. Thank you for the gift." Yoongi grabbed the basket of tangerines and hurriedly followed Yijeong without looking at Jieun.

Jieun bid them goodbye. She took a deep breath before heading back inside her apartment.

Yijeong couldn't help but notice Yoongi's silence. It's not that he was worried about it; his friend has always been quiet since they were young. But he was expecting Yoongi to at least be talking to him on their way home.

"So...how's your day?" Yijeong tried to start a small talk.

"It's cool."

"You got tangerines from your Jieun-ssi, huh." Yijeong kept his eyes on the road. What he failed to see was Yoongi's soft smile upon mentioning Jieun's name.

"Yeah. I think it's cute." Yoongi couldn't hide the spark of joy in his voice. "I never thought I'd receive something from her."

"That's why I told you to losen up. Jieun is a nice person."

"But she hated me."

"That was long ago. People do change, Yoons."

"She still does."

"Did you ask her?"

"No, but I know."

Realizing once more that he missed the opportunity to talk to Jieun, Yoongi took a deep sigh. He missed his chance to apologize. He always knew that he needed to, even after all those years. He wanted to make peace with his past and maybe start a fresh present without anybody keeping grudge on him.

"If you wanna talk to Jieun, tell me. I can always find a way." Yijoung continued after sensing Yoongi's frustration.

"Thanks, bro." Yoongi replied.

They reached Yijeong's house where Yoongi was staying for the meantime. He was still looking for a good place to stay permanently. He decided to stay for good this time.

Yoongi stared at the piece of tangerine he was holding and smiled, thinking about what happened earlier at Jieun's apartment.

"There's still enough time for me to fix everything."