Thirty-seven

"Jungkook, I'm very sorry. I overslept." Jieun arrived almost twenty minutes late. She was not expecting for Jungkook to still be waiting at the cafe, but there he was, smiling brightly.

"It's okay, Jieun-ssi. I'm glad you had enough sleep this time. I heard from Hobi hyung that you guys are very busy."

"Yeah. Apparently, we have a big project so we have been preparing for it for the past few days. Our schedule's quiet hectic."

"I'm glad you got to spare some of your time with me despite your busy days."

"Yeah, Yoongi let me take a day's off."

"Oh, okay." Jungkook ran out of words so he just asked Jieun to choose from the cafe's menu.

They both ordered their drinks before continuing their conversation. The afternoon was perfect for a glass of ice cold coffee.

"So, what do you want to talk about that you even have to invite me here?" Jieun was curious, thinking that maybe it has something to do with the song Jungkook and Suran will be singing.

"I don't know if this is the right time to tell you this, but I just want to let you as soon as possible." Jungkook's voice was nervous, almost shaky.

"Is something wrong, Kookie?" Jieun got worried at how serious Jungkook was. She was used to seeing him all cheerful and smiling.

Jungkook forced a smile before answering Jieun's question. "When I first met you, I already knew that you're someone special. But I never really thought that my feelings will get deeper. After not seeing you for a long time and then meeting you again, I realized one thing."

Jieun was all ears on Jungkook. She was trying to comprehend his words, but everything seemed to confuse her.

"Jieun, I know it's crazy, but I like you." Jungkook stared into her eyes. "I like you like I never liked anyone else. I've liked you since the day we first met and that feeling grew stronger and stronger until I could no longer keep it to myself."

"Lee Jieun..." Jungkook took Jieun's hand and held it gently. "Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Jungkook—" Jieun was surprised with his sudden confession. She was searching for words, but nothing could come out of her mouth.

"Jieun, please say yes. I swear you'll never regret it."

Jieun closed her eyes for a few seconds. When she opened them, she gazed back at the young man who was still waiting for her answer.

"Jungkook, you're a good man. You're a very good person. I knew that the first moment I met you. I like you too, but not in the same way that you feel for me. You're like a brother to me. I'm sorry but I can't have romantic feelings for you, Jungkook."

Jungkook was silent for a while. He slowly let go of Jieun's hand.

"Was it because of Suga hyung?"

"Huh?"

"Suga hyung. I always notice how he looks at you. And maybe I was in denial, but I see how you look at him too. That night when we're at the bar, you were holding yourself back from getting jealous with Suran-ssi, right?"

Jieun was left speechless. Once again, Jungkook spoke softly, with no sign of anger in his tone.

"That night, hyung was so concerned about you. He stayed by your side while you were so drunk. He was very worried. He even took you home. I'm not dumb to notice how much he cares for you and I wish I could do the same thing." Jungkook sighed, then smiled painfully. "I was supposed to confess when I went to your office but I got scared of Yijeong hyung and your brother. So I invited you today to let you know everything, in case Suga hyung hasn't made any move yet. I was somehow wishing that maybe if I tell you first, you'll choose me. But that's now how love goes, I guess."

"Jungkook. I...I'm really sorry. I don't know what to say. I never want to hurt you."

"It's okay, Jieun. I prepared myself for this. You don't really have to say you're sorry."

"I know it's stupid, but honestly, I don't think I'll be good for you. I'm not who you think I am. I'm far from perfect. I can be annoying and crazy. I'll just turn your life into hell."

"Jieun, you don't have to say that. No matter how annoying or crazy you are, you'll still look like an angel to me. But I guess we're not really meant for each other. So I just have to accept that."

"Thank you, Jungkook."

Jieun asked Jungkook if they could remain as friends to which the latter agreed. If there's one thing that Jungkook has to be thankful for, it was meeting Jieun, the reason for his success. He will always be grateful for the chance of meeting her. Same goes to Jieun as Jungkook was the best artist that Genius Lab ever had.

Jungkook decided to leave soon after their talk. He insisted on driving Jieun home, but the latter politely refused, saying that she'll stay at the cafe for a little while.

Finding herself alone in the busy and crowded little place where most of her unforgettable memories seemed to happen, she realized one thing that she has been dismissing in her mind for the longest time.

My feelings haven't changed. I still love him.