FORTY-ONE

The elevator ride was quiet. Solomon kept looking back at me, wanting to ask, but he didn't say anything. I was in my little world. Full of heartbreak. My heart is broken not once but twice, but this second time in love, I mean it. Don means everything to me, and if he already has someone somehow hidden away by Eddie, then this main character of my story has somehow become a minor character.

I sigh.

I clench my fist and hold it against my heart. I needed to be more persistent to take Don out of that place, but he insisted on staying until he found where the woman was.

This mystery woman. I'm curious about who she is and why she is so important.

I had questions to ask, yet I had only one answer.

The elevator dings and opens. I went out first, and then Solomon was behind me. I watch the workers and men of Eddie doing their job as Solomon leads the way to the jet.

"Stay here. I have to do a quick run over to that trailer."

I didn't answer but sat on a cargo box. Waiting for him to leave, I can feel his eyes on me. I look up at him, just standing there. He looks at me with concerns about whether I will disappear again or about Don.

"Go," I told him and looked down at the dirt. "I'll be here when you get back."

"That is one thing on my mind because you just disappeared like a ninja," he made a joke, and I snorted.

"I had my way of sneaking out before, but judging by your tone, you are wondering what me and Don said back there.

"Claire," Solomon paused for a second before continuing, and when he could, I stopped him.

"You don't need to explain," I say, with my heart hurting. I had to keep myself strong for Leo and my baby. "Don has his reasons to stay behind to save a woman that I did not know about, and I still love him. I-I sometimes can be forgiving like my cousin, Effie, but she is more naive than I am."

I bit my lower lip from making a crying sound. I wipe the tears from my eyes and look back up at Solomon with a grin. "Go, I promise I won't disappear."

I know Solomon wanted to discuss this further, but he didn't pursue it and did whatever he needed to do.

Once he disappeared, I looked at the evening sky of orange, yellow, and hints of blue while birds flew by as memories of Don and I flooded my mind. I smile at those happy and joyous memories together. Suddenly, laughter caught my attention behind me. I look over my shoulder to see a few of Eddie's men around a campfire. I didn't care what they were laughing about but just ruined my moment with my times with Don.

"So, why are elite mercenaries working with us?" Ask one of them.

"I forgot you're a rookie here," says another. "These elite mercenaries aren't ordinary but were high-level, skilled retired marines who do jobs for important people like our boss."

"So, like train assassins?"

"They kill, but only those who threaten the US."

"But doesn't that consider our boss a threat? I mean, he's digging up some ancient grave for some gold." Says the rookie, who seems concerned about his arrogant boss.

Eddie is not only greedy but a bastard. He gets what he wants.

"He could have asked us to receive the gold and maybe get a percent of it as a reward." The rookie continues with a harmless chuckle.

"Shh...don't let him hear you say that." Says the third man. "He hired us for security purposes. Yes, we aren't getting paid much, but you better not say anything to make him have us killed. As for the mercenaries, the leader, Donovan Wolfe, the boss, has something. Using her as leverage to keep those high-level up jerks in check."