TWENTY

It's been added another two days. Don and I haven't talked, and I hope to speak to him privately after dinner tonight.

With a spoon in my mouth, I glance at each person at the dinner table.

Effie and Logan take turns feeding Zara and making airplane noises; Thea is breastfeeding Jacob, and Lily and Liam come over for dinner with us and do the same with Ramsey.

Seth, Ares, and Leo are having an eating contest to see who can fit their cheeks with food and not make each other laugh. But suddenly, Rex created a face and noodles dripping from Seth's nose, making my son and Ares laugh.

Then my eyes land on Don, who sits quietly and eats his dinner. My heart is racing with anxiety, wanting him to glance his eyes at me. But when he didn't, he pushed himself, grabbed the empty plate, and put it in the sink before leaving.

I whimper as if imaginary dog ears have flattened from disappointment.

I bite my spoon and frown.

"Don't worry," she whispers, "The girls and I will clean up here. Go."

I inhale sharply and put my spoon down. Scoot my chair back and left the table.

"Where's mummy going?" Ask my son.

"She's going to have an adult talk with Don," replied Thea.

"Oh, good, because I'm tired of them not talking to each other. They need to kiss and make up."

"That's right! No more fighting, mummy, and daddy. Leo and I are sad," Seth suddenly mocks my accent and says in a child's voice, had made everyone agree and at the same time laugh.

I can't help but smile at what my son said and roll my eyes at Seth's childish tease as I follow where Don had disappeared. I walk up the stairs and stop right in front of his room, knowing he's in there. I lift my hand to knock but stop and bite my lower lip, hesitating.

I was taking another deep breath. I finally knock and hear his voice on the other side, allowing me to enter.

I slowly open the door and peek my head. I spot his naked bareback with his tribal tattoos showing and squeak. Turn my eyes around.

Why am I covering my eyes?

I've seen his body before. But somehow, they still make my heart skip a beat, and my fingers itch to touch him.

"What do you want, Claire?" Don says with a sour tone.

Wow, am I that of a nuisance already?

I shut the door and lean against the door as he puts on a clean shirt.

"Can..." licking my lips and clearing my throat. "Can we talk?"

Don went to his bathroom and came out as he said, "What's there to talk about? You don't. Anyways, I'm busy. Just leave."

Ouch.

I watched him pace around his room as if he had to do something he needed to do as an excuse. I can read him like a book.

"No," I say firmly. "We need this talk."

He did not stop. I pinch my lips and stomp my foot, annoyed and impatient. "Listen to me, Donovan Wolfe. I'm not leaving this room until you stop whatever you are doing because it's obvious you aren't busy." That didn't stop him. I huff and say, "damn it, look at me!"

When he did, I felt a similar chill. The first time I yelled was at Eddie, who did not appreciate me raising my voice, leading to a hard slap.

A flash of terrifying memories of Eddie. I quickly cover my mouth and shiver, looking down at my sandals. I swallow hard. "I-I'm...I'm..." fuck! I can't speak right. I'm at my weakest state and raise my voice at Don.