NINETEEN

"Oh my god! I thought I had it worst."

Looking over my shoulder, Thea stands behind me, picking up a glazed doughnut, bites off the plate, and takes it in her mouth in one bite.

"Oh my god!" She moans, licking her fingers. "These are amazing. You got to teach me the recipe. CJ, what's wrong?"

I sigh.

"Nothing," I shake my head as I stir a batter bowl. Hard and rough, like the ingredients aren't mixing.

"Um...you're going to break your arm if you keep doing that."

I ignore her and stir and stir until the bowl and cooking spoon slip out of my hands, spilling the batter all over the floor.

"CJ," Thea rush to my side, bringing a towel with her to help me clean, then wailed at me. "What's the matter with you? You've been spacing out and cooking like a madman these two weeks. We have to restock every day so that we won't go hungry. Don is worried about you. You won't look at and ignore him whenever you are alone. I have to apologize to him for you. Are you on your period? If you are, please tell me. CJ?"

She stops to look at me with concern in her eyes. I didn't realize tears were already fallen from my eyes. My body quiver, and then I sob.

"CJ," Thea wraps her arms around me. Worries in her voice. "What's wrong? Tell me, hun."

I sniff and sob against her while she rubs my back and comforts me with soothing words to calm me down.

After twenty minutes of sobbing and wiping the snot from my nose, Thea and I sat on the kitchen floor with the support of the cabinets behind us.

I exhale sharply, trying to ease my heart before I can let it out.

"Thea..." I tilt my head against the board and let another sigh escape my lips. "I'm...pregnant."

I watch my cousin almost fumble to the floor at my sudden announcements. Her wide eyes bore at me in shock. "Are you serious?"

I close my eyes and nod.

"Don's?"

I stay silent.

Sitting down properly, she says, "Then at the hotel when you two disappeared...was it that time." Thea gasped, letting in all the air before speaking. "So then...oh my fucking god!"

My lips purse together as I pull my legs up and wrap my arms around them. I was hugging them against my chest.

"But, are you sure? I mean...it's been two weeks since we got back from L.A."

"I skipped a period." I wipe my nose again with my floury hands and sniff. "I was supposed to start last week Wednesday."

Then I noticed the signs of nausea, craving, and peeing. That is when I realized I was pregnant.

Thea sighed and sat with her legs crossed. "Did you take the test? I heard they have this new pregnancy device that shows the word if your pregnant or not."

"I did it five times. It all came out positive," when I noticed my period was late. I had to buy five boxes at the store to ensure everything was intact. But all came out the same word as I feared.

Sobs broke out from my voice. Once again, tears resurfaced in my eyes. I try to hold back, but they keep on falling. I dip my head between my legs and cry.

"Why are you crying?" They rubbed my back. "You not happy to have a child with Don?" Saying as if I hated it, but that is not the case.

Of course, I'm happy; all my insides are swirling with butterflies. I can't contain the joy and happiness of having another bundle of joy with the man I love. But everything that was going on, especially that call from Eddie that day, got me scared and worried. I haven't considered moving on, let alone getting pregnant with another man. I'm also concerned Don won't be ready to be a parent, either.