FORTY-THREE

"Come on, Solomon, let me go with you guys," I whine and beg Solomon for the hundredth time. We had arrived hours ago, and Tech had rented us a house across the street from Eddie's summer home. Solomon, the twins, and Tech are on the tablet screen discussing the plan to save Sarah while I make food for them. Tech had Someone deliver groceries early on enough for a few days. He had everything prepared before we even arrived.

He wants to tell me I can't join him and the twins to rescue Sarah. I wanted to take part in this mission. I felt guilty towards Don because he accepted working for Eddie because of his mother, who is held captive. I never knew Eddie could stoop down low like that, using a human being as a person's weakness. That lets me know how much of a monster he is.

Leo.

My mind thought of my son, who shares the same blood as Eddie running through his veins. Calling Eddie a monster means Leo is a spawn of a monster. I never see Leo that way because he is also a part of me. My blood runs through him, too, and I love him no matter what. He's my world, my son. I will protect him always. As long he shares the same traits as Eddie, which has been my priority since he was born. Then Leo's life will be exemplary. He will never be Eddie. My son is the sweetest and most caring human being ever. A complete opposite from his dickface of a father.

Eddie is Eddie, and Leo is Leo.

"Please, Solomon. Let me join." I tug Solomon, who has hooked his combat belt around his waist and straps a bulletproof vest. The twins were also getting ready as they checked their guns and ensured they had enough bullets before participating in the rescue mission. They had brought every weapon and gadget from the four large black duffle bags. They carried so much.

They are soldiers getting ready for war. Real professionals. "I want to help. I can use a gun. Whenever Eddie hits me, I take my anger at the shooting range, thinking it will be in the head if I ever get to shoot Eddie."

I watch the twins' eyes shoot up, and Solomon looks at me in shock.

I look back and forth between them. "What? I can. I had lots of practice. Even though I'm not as professional as you guys, I can handle a gun."

"I will not give you a gun."

"Solomon, please," I tug him like a kid in a toy store. "If I have a gun, I can protect myself. You guys don't have to."

"Don will have my ass."

"And if anything happens to you, it's up his ass," Landon says jokingly, making his twin chuckle.

Solomon scowls at them to shut up. He sees my face and sighs. "I can't allow you to join this rescue mission because you will be in danger, and also think about your baby. Even if I do give you one, will it be enough to protect you and the baby? Do you want to risk your life to lose your unborn child?"

"But..." He got me there. I wasn't thinking of my unborn child for a moment and wanted to put myself in danger. I'm not a professional like these guys who have lo, who haveence in the field, and if I do partake in s mission. I will not put my baby in danger, but with them protecting me, I will have their lives in danger. People will people will not allow that to happen.

I clench my fist to where I grab his shirt. "I felt bad thinking that Don has a lover. I said mean things and tried to break it off with him."

Thinking back after not knowing his deal with Eddie, I felt terrible about what I, Iim.

Solomon took my hand and held it into his. They were large and callous, just like Don, and also warm. "He does have a lover. You. Whenever we talk to him, all he ever mentions is you. How a great, smart, sassy woman he had ever met, smart, and him because of his face when we were still in the Marines. Some women are scared of him. Others think he is hot with scars."

Thinking of Don with other women wants to make me puke and maybe hit Don in the head. Green monsters are such a bitch.

"Sorry," Solomon caught on and chuckled as I pouted at him. "Anyways, it's true that Don had to keep an eye on you because of Eddie. But never in his life would he be attracted to you. He thought work and personal relations should not be intertwined, but somehow, he couldn't resist. You were the first girl who isn't scared of him despite his looks." I always think of Don as a handsome devil because of his scars. I wasn't scared of him; I was scared of falling for him.

"You were all he ever thought and talked about."

"Yeah, us guys tried to make an excuse to leave because he wouldn't shut up." Landon groan.

"But he was happy like a kid talking about you to us single men," Brandon added. "I guess he and Tech are the only men in our group to have a woman and kids in their life."

"Oh, the day you and your son arrived at your cousin's house and saw the bruises on your face triggered his rage."

I remembered that day. He was interrogating me like he was a cop. I barely knew the guy, and he was concerned about my personal life.

"I've heard from my cousin Thea that his mother was abused by her boyfriend," I tell them. I can feel my tears piling up, but I'm holding it in.

"Yeah, the guy was a real douchebag," Landon commented. "Before Don joined the marine, he had Tech lookup that asshole's address and confronted him."

"What did Don do once he met him?" I hope he didn't kill him.

"He gave the guy one good punch in the face," Landon swung his fist as if he did it. "Of course, we know because we were all there. I told him never to contact Sarah again, or he would be under his boot."

"Anyways, wasting time here." The twins apologize as Solomon looks at me. Claire, besides his love for his mother, he also loves you and Leo. Though Leo is that bastard's son, he is also your son. Whatever or whomever you love, Don will love them as well. He loves him like a son."

I squeeze Solomon's hand and let out my tears.

"Oh no," I sniff and let my free hand fan my eyes. "Here come the tears. I never thought Don would think of me like that. I come from a strict home with strict parents who only care about money, but they love me. And my cousins always care like I'm a, but taking Leo and me. And...and...Don...he...I...I'm the worst person, and he will never forgive me!" My voice starts to crack. I drop my head onto Solomon's chest and let out my cries.

Solomon embraced me as I let out all the emotion because I was pregnant, so the hormones kicked in. Don is the most remarkable man, and he deserves Someone better than me, who accused him of my jealousy. Some who should trust him. Someone who-

"Brandon, Landon, wait for me outside. I'll take Claire upstairs."

"You got it, chief."

Solomon escorted me to my assigned room once we got there. It was a simple room with a queen-size escorted porch and a window-encumbered roome bed, still crying.

I watch him crouch down and wipe the tears away. "You okay now?"

For a quiet guy with a stern face, Solomon is another real gentleman I have met in my life. The first one is Don. I nod. "Yeah, I think I'm okay."

"Okay, remember to stay here. Let me and the boys save Sarah."

I didn't say anything because it would be useless if I tried to convince him. After all, I do need to think about my unborn child. I am causeless if I try to because of me.

"I understand," I sniffle. "I will wait for your return."

Solomon pats my head as if I'm a child, although he and I are probably around the same age. "Good, and here." Before he can leave the room, he tosses a square box with buttons and a small screen. "If anything happens and we don't return after one hour, press that red button, and it will contact Tech."

I open my mouth, but Solomon cuts me off before I can say anything. "Don't worry; I told Tech not to tell Don about this mission, especially since you are here with us."

I nod.

"Stay in this room, and if you are in danger, hide in that closet and press the red button.StayI. I call out to him. He stops you and turns to f, ace me. "Please, you guys, be careful."

He grins. "Thank you. You are my boss' woman, which makes you our boss lady. I may be an ex-marine, and I've been into dangerous things, but I'm always careful. Don't worry," he says and closes my door.