TWENTY-FIVE

"Ah, C.J., come in," Jack put down his office phone and smiled. But under that smile, something is bothering him.

The first time I met Jack, I was scared because he was more prominent and scary, like a bear, but beneath that frightening look, he's a big softy, especially for his children. Even living here after all his children were born, he still has his Texas accent. When I was little, I thought he was a cowboy because of it and pictured him in those Western movies my dad used to watch on tv.

"Please, have a seat."

"Thank you," I took the sit in front of his desk as he took his own.

"So, it seems my youngest told you about the offer."

"Yes." I shift in my seat.

"I know you're working the night shift at the bar. Would it be a hassle, especially raising a kid?"

"I talked with Billie about applying here and quitting at the bar," I tell him.

"Jordan tells me that you worked at a restaurant in London."

"Yes, it's my grandma, but ever since she passed away, my dad sold it," I lower my head as I think about Nay Nay, but there is a smile plaster on my face.

Although I feel sad just thinking about her, it also makes me happy that I'll be able to work at a restaurant again.

"I'm sorry," Jack says sincerely. I know he means it. This restaurant started because of his wife; I know how much this place means to him.

"I also heard you're a great cook."

"Oh, yes," I beam with pride, but Jack should already know that. "My grandma taught me everything besides Filipino food, but she's a great cook, and everyone that knows her loves her cooking."

"Makes me want to meet the little old lady," he said, making me smile because Nay Nay and I have the same height. "Well, I don't need a formal interview, although it is a standard procedure that I say these things to make it look like I'm serious about hiring you. Since you aren't family, I consider you and your cousins as my own. You are hired; you can start today or tomorrow."

My eyes beam as my heart race with excitement. "Thank you, Uncle Jack."

"It's time we spice up the menu with different ethnic cuisines from your culture, and let me tell you that noodle dish you made at Leo's birthday was just how Diana made it." He made a moaning sound remembering the taste with a goofy grin. "My favorite Filipino food."

"You mean the pansit," I giggle, besides the food given at Leo's birthday party served by the hotel. I added a few more dishes with fundamental Filipino food like pansit, lumpia, and bibingka; a Filipino coconut rice cake; I made those so everyone could enjoy them.

"Yes," he exclaims. "I plan to change a few things on the menu with breakfast, lunch, and dinner."

"Is that okay? I mean..."

Although he's smiling at the idea, I can tell how much he loves his wife. "Jillian wanted to open a restaurant. Her grandfather was a cook and had his own, just like your grandmother. So, my wife was inspired to open one here just like him."

"You know Aunt Jill taught me a few tricks on how to cut vegetables into cubes," I remember her words as she taught me. "I hope one day I can open a restaurant just like my grandma."

I pulled out Nay's cookbook, which was thick with notes and papers sticking with her ideas. "I carry this with me whenever I need to cook." I hug it tightly in my chest like it's my most valuable treasure though Leo is my most sacred treasure.

"I'm sure your grandmother will be very proud of you and how much you have grown to be a fine young lady," Jack gave me a full heart smile.

After thinking about Nay Nay, I return the smile and wipe the tear formed in my eye. "Thank you, Jack. It means a lot. I know my grandmother is proud of me very much."

Hey guys!

Sorry for this short chapter. I've been celebrating birthdays these past few days, starting from the 27 till today's party. Yeah, within my family, there are a lot of May birthdays, so that today will be my little cousin's last birthday celebration.

Thanks for understanding.

HAPPY READING!!