EPILOGUE

Half a year later

It's months since the death of Sarah. After her death, Don brought her back to California for a proper funeral. Everyone was there, even those who did not know Sarah came to give them their condolences. Mourning and grieving about the death of a loved one, a mother who raised Don and his friends. To make things depressing, it also rained.

I remember Leo tugging on me, his arms around my waist, unsure how to express myself. I told him after coming home that Sarah was his grandmother. He wanted to meet her, but she told him she would be in God's palace with his great-grandmother.

Before the funeral, Don couldn't accept Sarah's death. He would be his usual self, but everyone in the house knows how much he is grieving. He would in his room not interact with his family and friends. I would take his food to him and bathe him even though he's a big man, even though he is acting like a manchild. I would occasionally wash with him, but I had no sexual desires, only closeness and him in his thoughts. I don't mind if we don't make love. The only thing I can do is comfort him.

Every night, I sing to him as I do with Leo; I cuddle him in my arms and pat his back as he silently cries.

I know how painful it is, especially when you finally find someone until you lose them simultaneously.

After the funeral, everything is back to normal; Don is himself again after months of depression and pain. But he had to move on and leave the past behind to see the future. I know he shouldn't still grieve for his mother, but I don't want him to be in the dark forever.

I was in the nursery on the rocking chair, rocking back and forth while my eyes were closed. I caress my swollen belly and say this baby will pop in a few months. I look out the window to see Leo and his cousins playing on their new jungle gym playground that their Uncle Rex has set up.

A soft knock on the door had my head turn to see Terry at the doorway.

"Hey."

"Hey," Terry enters and looks around the nursery. "How are you feeling?"

"Feet were sore, but Don massaged them an hour ago, and then he went back to work on a new project for the kids." Don was planning to make a sandbox for them. I closed the baby's nursery book. "And I just read the baby a book."

She walks around as if in a museum of baby furniture and binky toys. I watched her pick up a cute pink and white plaid rabbit doll, and I could see the sad expression.

I knew Terry had discomfort when it came to anything that involved children. I know everybody has their secrets, intense dark ones. I asked Effie once about Terry; I only know that they knew each other in foster care and that a lovely couple adopted Terry.

That story has a loophole. If Terry lived in a lovely home with parents who loved her, how did she end up working for a man like Odin King?

The room is silent and awkward. I don't know why Terry is here, but she has something to tell me.

"So, um..." I pinch my lips and then continue. "Effie told me you are going away for a while."

"Yeah," she says. "I'll probably be away for months, maybe a year."

I wanted to ask.

My mouth Is itching to ask her where she will be going. I know Odin had given her a mission, but my curiosity is telling me to ask where.

"Does Seth know?" That is another question added.

Terry's body is tense as she puts down the rabbit doll. I guess

"And why not?" I thought she would tell him first before any of us. "Aren't you two best of friends?"

I added a little tease and could see her ears turn red. I chuckle softly only to get silence from her. "Terry, you know I'm just teasing you. Seth doesn't know you're a girl because you had your reasons to hide your gender. But I get the sense that you two are close."