FORTY-SIX

Upon entering the house through the kitchen door, Don and I made our way to the door that leads to the basement. We ran to the bottom until we found the apparent vault door.

"Is this it?" Don approaches the door and touches it.

"Yes, I heard one of Eddie's men talking about a woman staying here and figured she could be your mom." I stand next to him. "Eddie got mad at me for asking about this and figured that his reaction tells me he is telling the truth."

I advert my eyes on Don and see his jaws clench and his eyes darken. "Don, why does Eddie have your mother? All I know is he only has her to take leverage on you, but this has gone too far to use a mentally unstable woman."

His hand was then made into a fist. He put down his hand and turned to face me with a worried expression. I'm not too fond of how he looks at me like that because I feel he has something to tell me—something else he has not told me about.

"Is this another secret?" I ask.

Don nods and says, "Yes."

"Should I be worried?"

His eyes turn the other way.

I sigh.

I'm tired of feeling sad or mad with all these secrets he has been keeping. At the same time, he has his reasons for it. "Okay, tell me now and get this over with."

"Are you not going to worry?" He reverted my statement earlier because, at that time, I didn't have the heart to even care. If he is going to tell me now, I will regret it later.

"If you feel uncomfortable to tell me, you don't have to tell me," I tell him. "Secrets are supposed to be kept. Although some are left unspoken. I'm not going to force you." Even though I was angry earlier that his trust in me was deficient.

"I know you don't trust me -"

"I do trust you!" He yelled out and made him look away bashful.

His reaction keeps surprising me, and I can see how such a manly man can look adorable. I smile.

"Alright, don't yell," I say with a grin. "I believe you trust me, and you have your reasons. But since we will have that talk later, I will wait. I can be a very patient woman."

"Okay," there goes that sexy smile again. I can see why Effie, Thea, and Lily told me about the intense infection of Wolfe's billion-dollar smile that you can never resist.

I should be a woman with pride. I shouldn't go down on my knee because of this delicious island god. I should stand my ground and keep arguing with him. I should have him on his knees and kiss my foot. Oh god, the thought of him doing so while intimate makes my body flare up in heat between my legs.

"Claire? You okay?"

I stammer back and am shocked by his closeness. My heart is racing. I clear my throat. "Y-yeah, I'm fine. Let's open this baby up and rescue your mother."

Way to change the topic, Claire. You are thinking of having sex with him when you are in a hazardous situation.

But the dangerous one is him!

I sigh.

Why am I arguing with my subconscious? Now is not the time.

"Tech," I glance at Don, who has contacted one of his teammates through an invisible Bluetooth device. "The vault has a code. Do you think you can access through here?"

I look around, wondering when Solomon and the boys will meet us here. I walk around Don to take a look at the access code. Observing it closely, it requires a four-digit code. It could be anything; it could be the same as Eddie's phone passcode, which he uses for his credit card pin code. It's his mother's birthday. Or it could be his favorite nanny who raised him as a baby. I know it couldn't be my birthday or his son's since we are longer necessary in his heart. It's not like I cared about that.