THIRTY

It's been three days since I arrived at the safe house in the jungle of Brazil.

Brazil.

We flew from Long Beach to here in a jet plane. Initially, the kids woke up confused but later enjoyed riding on a private jet. I asked Don if he owned the jet he said it belonged to his billionaire friend who was on his team and invested his money in creating weapons for the military.

I asked Lena if she would allow Chris to take a family vacation with us. She agreed, saying she has other business besides Singapore that would take more than a month, and then asked me where. I lied and told her about a vacation in the Bahamas.

Bahamas.

I wish that were true then. I wouldn't be stressing out about staying in the middle of the Amazon jungle with deadly man-eating animals and deadly mosquitoes. Glad this house has a net that blankets the whole house to keep those pests away.

I look through the no glass window watching the kids near the water.

"Leo! Chris! Time to get inside."

It's been three days since I arrived at the safe house in the jungle of Brazil.

Brazil.

We flew from Long Beach to here in a jet plane. Initially, the kids woke up confused but enjoyed riding a private jet. I asked Don if he owned the plane. He said it belonged to his billionaire friend on his team, and he invested his money in creating weapons for the military.

I asked Lena if she would allow Chris to take a family vacation with us. She agreed, saying she has other business besides Singapore that would take more than a month, and then asked me where. I lied and told her about a vacation in the Bahamas.

Bahamas.

I wish that were true, and then I wouldn't be stressing out about staying in the middle of the Amazon jungle with deadly man-eating animals and deadly mosquitoes. Glad this house has a net that blankets the whole place to keep those pests away.

I look through the no glass window watching the kids near the water.

"Leo! Chris! Time to get inside."

They both made a sour face and whined. "Mommy, can we stay for a little longer," Leo begs.

I shake my head. "No, darling. You can't be out for more than twenty minutes. Remember what Don said. Now come inside you two. It's time for dinner."

They drop whatever they are doing and rush inside. I quickly closed all the openings of this jungle house and locked each one. The two kids sat at the table as I went down the hall and into the basement.

"Don? Darling. It's time for dinner." I dip my head to find his back towards me as he polishes his guns. This wasn't my first time, but it amazes me how a basement looks like a secret room filled with intel and supplies of guns.

"Oh, yeah, I'll be right up." He says as I hear a click once he connects apart from the gun intact.

He puts it down, grabs a towel, wipes his hands, and then leans to kiss me. I push him and shake my head.

"Wash up first before you get a taste of my lips."

He groans, and I chuckle.

"Come on, big boy. It's time for dinner." I shove him up the stairs.

Don entered the bathroom as I heard the water running.

"Mom, how long is this vacation?"

My body flinches.