THREE

The next few days, avoiding my mother's calls, I finally dared to call her, and boy, she was wailing on the other side of the line that I could practically hear her from the other side of the world. She asked if Leo and I were okay. I reassured her everything was fine and that my cousins treated me with love and kindness. I didn't tell her I was also living with five other boys. She will send her ass here in a few minutes to bring me back home.

After making her not worry, I told my mother why I left. The reason the engagement party didn't happen. I told my mother what Eddie did to me and Leo. For once, she stayed quiet on the line listening to me. She apologized and cried for the first time in my life. She blamed herself for not being a mother who was blinded by her high status. I couldn't agree more.

Growing up with a helicopter mom wasn't easy. I attended pageants, went to good schools, graduated with honors in college, and; had a bachelor's in business, and my first choice was opening up my restaurant.

My mother wasn't too happy about my choice of career. Instead, she wanted me to marry a rich man. She got her wish when I started dating Eddie, she saw my future with him, but there was a crack in our relationship with my first bruise on my face after talking to a guy. The first time I told my mother Eddie had been hitting me, he told me next time, I should not make him angry.

What kind of mother says that to her daughter?

My father never beat her, but her father did. I heard my grandfather from the Philippines was strict. He wasn't an abuser but punished my mother and her sister, Diana.

Now, my mother starts to believe me after my runaway act. My mother told me that Eddie had been looking for me and she's been lying to me about my whereabouts.

I don't want him to know. I don't want to cause trouble with my cousins and new friends.

I don't want to be a burden.

I sigh and look at my phone. There's a crack on the screen, and when I open it to look, to see half of it is black. It is still active, but I couldn't see the other half. Eddie threw it at the wall once he learned I was having dinner with an old high school friend. Jesse Fleck was my first boyfriend, and I had my first kiss with him. Our four years of dating were beautiful. Until he broke it off, saying he was born with the wrong body. Jesse Fleck turned into Jessi with an I.

Yup.

Sex changed.

I knew the first time I was in his room; it was nothing but Spice Girls all over his walls, especially with Victoria Spice. I thought any man was obsessed with her because she was the sexy one in the group, but reuniting with Jessi shocked me. I thought they were Victoria: posters, doll figurines, and a collection of concert tickets the group has ever performed.

Eddie hit me after reading my text and asking me about Jessi. After two broken ribs, a bust-up lip, and a broken arm I had to wear for three to four weeks, Eddie apologized by buying me a replica of Princess Diana's Seven-strand Pearl and Sapphire Choker. I hesitated to accept the gift, but he wanted me to show off at his wealthy friend's elegant party.

Each apology would come with expensive gifts; a Hermès bag, Prada shoes, and a Versace gown. I couldn't say no because he would get mad and hit me, so I accepted them but never used them unless asked.

I sigh, looking at my phone again, then pull out my purse pouch and count the pounds of money I saved. I need more; even if I convert it to American dollars, it will only give me ten dollars.

I need a job to earn money. But, if I were to leave the house, Eddie would find me.

"Leo!"

"Yes, Mum," my son says once he appears with a toy car in his hands.