THIRTY-EIGHT

Tapping my finger and shaking my leg, just sitting on a cargo box with Solomon by my side guarding me as usual. I hate to admit I don't mind the company. I mean, he usually doesn't talk much.

Mordecai has been down there at most ten minutes, well, maybe more. I don't know; I don't have a watch to tell what fucking time it is. But when I asked Solomon, he told me it had been twelve minutes.

I watch angrily at Eddie yelling at his men to go down there. Then I shift my eyes at Don, who instantly looks my way. I gave him the glare and snob at him, looking the other way.

"Jerk," I mutter.

Solomon heard me, but I wasn't quiet about it. Don is a jerk. A big-fat-traitor jerk!

"You should have let Don explain," Solomon says, catching my attention.

I snort, then say venomously, "And why should I?"

"Although we work for Eddie, he only did it because he has something Don wants."

I shift my body to look up at him with curious brows on my face. "Something Don wants? What is it?"

"Don has to tell you himself," Solomon grinned.

I groan.

Why did he say it if he can't tell me?

That makes me want to know even more.

I hug myself. "Well, that doesn't change that he lied to me and betrayed my trust. I fell out of love with Eddie, but he's a monster. Meeting Don, I didn't want to get involved with another man. I just wanted to live peacefully with my son, living a good life without problems."

"But you love Don, don't you? And I know how much he loves you."

I look down at my shoes and then brush my strains of hair away from my face. "I...I don't know."

Firm hand pat on my shoulder. I look up at Solomon's dark eyes. "Don is a good man. He and the men have been together since we joined the military simultaneously. We've been through the Amazon jungle to the coldest place in the world. We have each other backs. Don may have signed up with a bastard like Eddie, but he has his reason."

"And it's that something Don wants?"

Solomon nods.

I sigh.

"Once this is over and fancy pants over there got what he needed, you and Don need that talk."

"I don't know, Solomon," I look at Don's back. His firm, broad back. The back that had protected me when that crazy pervert Lester almost had his way with me. "I'm so mad at him. I told him to leave me alone. He won't talk to me. I can be such a bitch to him."

"You may be angry with him, but deep down, he feels sorry about this."

"After witnessing all of this, I mean, for godsakes. I'm pregnant with his child. Our child," I caress my stomach where the little person lies, growing inside me. "I haven't even told him about our child."

Tears start to pour. I lift my head to fan my tears. "Oh, fucking god,"

"You haven't told him."

"No!"

Before Solomon could say anything else before he judged me for keeping Don about our baby, the palace shook the place, causing us to panic. Then a scream from one of Eddie's men. Solomon and I went over to find him under a broken column.

I gasp frightfully to see his body split in half. The blood and guts made my stomach churn. Something formed in my throat as I released it to an empty spot.