FIFTEEN

It started to rain minutes ago on a Saturday. It is still summer, and the weather here in California can be unpredictable.

I cover myself with the blanket and hug my legs, letting myself away from others. What happened last night scared me, and the terrifying images of that creep still pop into my head.

After the police interviewed me, I was scared to talk. Don was with me, and I felt safe as I spoke to the cop. Once they arrested the creep, It appeared his name was Lester Mayfield, a rapist, and murderer who attacked women whose mentality of having a relationship with him. For the past two months, he stalked, raped, and killed four women he thought were into him because they were nice to him.

I was about to be victim number five if it weren't for Don.

Who would care for my son if he weren't there to save me? By law, if I'm gone, he will go back to that father of his, and my soul won't rest if Eddie beats him.

I couldn't hold back the tears and let them fall from my puffy eyes, lack of sleep, and crying. I couldn't sleep. After everything that happened, I couldn't fall asleep.

A soft knock on the door made me unaware that Effie had entered my room holding a glass of water. "Hey, CJ, how are you feeling?"

"Where's Leo?"

"He's with the boys keeping him occupied."

"I bet he's wondering why he had to sleep somewhere else." Knowing Leo, he wants to be with his mommy, and wanting him by my side is the perfect remedy to cure whatever I have.

"He was suspicious and kept asking for you, but I told him you were sick and needed to be quarantined for a few days."

I sniffle, wiping my nose on the back of my hand. "I was so scared," I say honestly, looking at her. "How did you manage it?"

Effie takes a seat at the edge of the bed and sighs. "Clark was doing what his cousin told him to do because he was threatened to tell on his dad that his son is gay."

"But he still assaulted you."

"Of course, I was very angry with him. I hated him, but I pitied him."

"He should have gone to jail."

"Well, he should have instead getting beaten by his dad." My eyes grew wide. "At least it's safe there."

I got quiet. I don't know what else to say because I'm beginning to think this conversation isn't helping. If I were in Effie's shoes, I would have put my attacker in jail for good instead of being best friends. But that is Effie for you, like her mother.

Forgive and forget.

"Look, CJ," Effie stepped inside my blanket and wrapped her arm around my waist. "What you experienced was much more mortifying than what Clark did to me. He touched me there, but that creep pulled a knife on you. Any second, he would have killed you. Luckily Don and Seth got there on time."

More tears fall from my eyes, and I land my head on Effie's shoulders, bawling out. "During that time, I've been thinking about my son and praying that I will stay alive. I don't want my son to be motherless."

"I know," Effie held me and rubbed my arm.

"I'm weak, Effie." I tighten my fist. "I'm so fucking weak."

"CJ." She reaches for my hand. "You're not weak."

"But-"

I heard the door open, and his voice made my body react to him. "Hey, may I come in?"

"Yeah," Effie then whisper to me. "Don is here. I need to go and check on Zara." She slipped away and made me wish she didn't leave, but Don and I were alone once she did.