ELEVEN

I stir in my sleep when I open my eyes from a good nap.

I slowly rose and brushed my hair back. Yesterday was awkward. During dinner, Effie and Thea made me sit next to Donovan. I don't know why or what they are planning, but everything in my body trembles. The worst part of it was my heart hitting hard against my chest.

I would peek at him occasionally, watching his every movement. Another thing was his alluring smell coming off him. I couldn't help but make it seem like I was drugged and relaxed.

When he spoke in his deep husky, sexy voice, asking me to pass him the chicken wings, I jumped off my seat and had everyone look at me oddly. My whole body froze and burned up at the same time. I skipped dinner, ran to the room, got under the covers, and wished I were dead.

It's been the worst for me every night since we got here. It was only the fifth day, and every day was like this. My cousins are children of a demon because they always tease me with Don. They know I have special feelings for him, but I had to block off my heart to protect further pain and suffering. I can't think of dating. I have to think of my son.

"Mommy!" Leo busts in. It seems he woke up early. "Uncle Ares and everyone is going swimming at the lake. Want to come?"

"No, sweetie. It's okay. You have fun. Mommy is still tired." I say and yawn at the same time.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure. I have to think of what to cook for dinner tonight."

"Oh, okay. See you later."

"You be careful, honey, and stay close to them."

"I will!" I hear him in the hall, and the house again is silent.

I've been neglecting any activities because I'm trying to avoid a specific person I wake up every morning to see.

While Leo and the others were out having fun, I did some laundry since I didn't bring many clothes to stay for two weeks. Thea said this house has a laundry room, so I only got the clothes needed on this trip.

With an arm full of dirty clothes, Leo and I headed to the laundry room. The pile covers my way down the hall when something hard pushes me back, making me and the clothes fall to the floor.

"Sorry, oh, Claire. You okay?"

That voice.

I look up and see Don standing, holding a bag.

Great.

I didn't expect to find Don here when I avoided activities with others. I thought he went with the others to join the fun. But what is he doing here?

"Need a hand?" Don extends his hand.

I glance at his hand and see how large compared to my petite hands. I reach and take the offer. Don pulls me up as if I'm a piece of paper and pull me close to his chest. My heart takes a beat. I raise my head to have my eyes sync with his. I swallow hard as my heart continues to thump against my chest. I haven't been this close to Don, and I'm going nuts. My head is spinning, and my stomach is swirling. I have the urge to touch him. To feel him. He's so large that I should be afraid of him, and yet being so close to him, I want him to hold me like this longer. The tingling feeling between my legs agrees that something about Don is making me let a little loose.

"Are you just going to stand there and look at me, or will I wait for your attack?"

I blink.

I see my hands on his chest and squeal, backing away quickly. "I'm sorry."

Don chuckle. "No worries. I should have said something earlier instead of holding you like that."

Oh god, my heart. Stop beating!