SIX

"CJ, can you come here, please?"

"Be there in a minute."

After brushing my hair and tying it up in a neat ponytail, Leo was with Auntie Effie, Uncle Logan, and Zara at Chuckie Cheese thirty minutes ago, so I got time for myself. With my new phone in hand, I run downstairs to Thea's room, where I find her changing Jacob's diaper.

"Do you need help?" I ask.

"No, I got it. There, who's my big boy." She cooed, her son planting kisses. "That isn't why I called you."

"Oh, okay." I was sure she needed help since she was still a new mother, and I had experience, but she got it. I can't help but smile to see Thea as a mother. She and Effie would come to me sometimes and ask for parenting advice. Not all parents are perfect at raising a kid. Look at me, My relationship with Leo's father isn't what it used to be, but I raised Leo the best I could.

Watching Thea and Rex with their son made me wish we would be like them if Eddie weren't violent.

Thea raised Effie after their parents passed away, so it wouldn't be difficult for her to raise a child. I'm not one to judge not, like my mother. When I told her about Thea being pregnant and unmarried, she ranted about how well Thea has a future.

When we were kids, she would often beat up the bullies who made fun of my accent. She never talked about having a family only dreamed of being the big kid on the playground. But now, she's older and mature, more beautiful, and a mother with a loving man to be together forever.

"You and I will be the future together, forever."

Why did I think of his voice all of a sudden? Mentioning the forever part with Eddie is going to be a while.

I thought my future with Eddie would be magical and a dream I've always wanted in a man to be together, but that won't happen.

I got to get him off my head before I go bonkers.

"What is it, my dear cousin?"

Thea picks up Jacob gently and places him on her chest, cradling him. "I'm going to Party City to get some luau supplies."

"Luau?" I furrow my brows. "Are we having a party?"

"Yes," her eyes sparkle. "Next weekend is Rex's birthday, and I wanted to surprise him with a luau birthday party. He and his brothers are far, well, not far from home, but I wanted to make them feel more at home."

That's right, the Wolfe brothers are from Hawaii, and they moved here not too long ago."Did you buy at least a few things?"

"Yes, online, and they will arrive tomorrow. Rex will be at work, so it's a good opportunity to hide it from him. Effie and the brothers will help too."

"Okay. Well, Leo is with his aunt and uncle, and cousin. He wants to spend time with his cousin."

Leo bonded with Zara, and how they reacted to each other was so cute. He would play Knights and Princess with her as if he were the knight and shining armor, and Zara is the Princess in distress captured by a big playful dragon name Seth. "I got free time before I head to work tonight."

"Great," she exclaims and smiles. "Here, you hold Jacob while I shower and change."

Athena hands me Jacob, as he cradles me in my arms, and we wait.

Thirty minutes later, we are on the road to Long Beach Town Center, where stores, a restaurant, a Barnes and Noble, and a theater.

We went to Party City, and on the aisle where the luau party supplies are, Thea got everything they offer. My cousin is going on out to this party for her fiancé.