FORTY

I sneak out of the tunnel to another empty area to find one of Eddie's men pacing back and forth with a gun.

"It seems he is the only one here," I whisper. I hid behind a cargo box and started with a quick plan.

I'm no fighter like Ares and the boys, even brave like Thea and quick-witted like Effie, who is learning martial arts from Terry. I'm not as courageous, but I am competent in this situation. Like when I sneak out to meet with Jessi to watch an R-rated movie. My first time sneaking out, and I completely fooled my parents. I had put a tablet of mom's sleeping pills in their tea, just a little dose. My parents didn't want me to hang out with Jessi because she was a bad influence, but she was the only friend I could count on. Those girls I call friends are fakes. It's also the reason for me going to an all-girls school.

"Think, C.J., think," I look around and instantly spot an empty beer bottle on top of the box. It got me an idea.

Carefully grabbing the bottle, I thought of two ways; smashing his head with the bottle or two, throwing the bottle to distract him away for me to escape.

What is the best idea?

Giving a thought of a few more possible ideas, I hear a little squeeze, and looking down to the sound of a giant rat, I scratch a squeal but cover it up quickly to hide the noise, but it is too late as the man hears me and is on guard.

Shit!

I crawl backward, using the box as a shield.

"No, no, don't come around here," I softly whisper as I keep my eyes on the guard.

The guard surveillance where I just hid, looking for that noise. When the rat pops itself up again, jump-scare the man. "Fucking rat," he curses and returns to his monitoring.

Now it's my chance with his back turn. I hold the bottle like a bat and sneak up behind the guard without him noticing me. I raise my arms above my head and with a good amount of strength with this fragile body of mine. I don't know if I can do it without fail. Even if I don't knock him out, I already have a plan B in store in case shit doesn't go down like I planned. I hit the back of his head hard, causing the bottle to break into pieces, and the guard fell to the ground.

"Oh shit, I did it," I huff, exhausted from that swing.

A man like him shouldn't be down instantly, especially with a beer bottle. Well, at least he's down.

I grab his feet and drag him to the wall. I start to remove his gear and clothes, leaving him naked. I tied his wrist and ankles with the plastic wires in his pouch for extra precaution. I put on his clothes, his gear and grab his M16. I may be fragile, but I know how to use a gun, especially an assault rifle. Wearing this man's stuff makes it all saggy and too big for my size, but I need to manage if I ever want to get close to Don. This is the only way.

"Okay, let's get to Don," I put on the black Google and head to the directions of Eddie and Don.

I don't know if this is much of a plan, but it's something. I don't want Eddie and his men to recognize me. It's risky and not a solid disguise because of my petite frame. I will notice when they know I'm not one of them. I only have up to thirty minutes to get to Don.

As I approach, walking and bulk up like a man. I had my eyes on Eddie and Don. Eddie, with his loud mouth, is frustrated. I feel the floor move, and this place will fall.

"I need to hurry."

I pick up the pace as Eddie throws a tantrum. He removes his suit jacket and throws it down.

"How can you not get that damn thing?"

"Like I said," Mordecai pops his head out with a lollipop in his mouth. "This is some ancient contraption shit. This will take weeks, even months, to crack this code."