NINE

"Mommy, can I ask you something?"

I look down at Leo as I scheme through clothes in H&M for him on my phone. Yesterday, Thea had decided to all go camping at Lake Tahoe as a continuation of Rex's birthday—just a family outing and to spend time with one another. So, I had Leo, and I went to the mall to shop for camping-related things, not since I finally had money from working at the bar. Be spoiled for once.

Never with my parent's money, I shop. There was nothing for me to buy. Mother always buys me expensive brands, and I sell them secretly, and Dad would give me a three hundred allowance every day since I started preschool.

With that, I put that money into my secret piggy bank then as I grew older, it turned into my life savings. But when Leo was born, I decided to put it into his name, becoming his trust fund, which can be used until he is eighteen. I never told Eddie about it because I didn't know what he would do if he knew I had almost a million dollars. He's already rich, and stealing from his son makes him greedier.

"What is it, darling?" I answer him.

"Will Dad find us here? Are we safe to go out without Tita Thea, Uncle Ares, or anybody to protect us?"

I stop. Look down at him and see his eyebrows pinch and his lips frown.

He's worried.

More than worried, he's scared. Scared that if his father knew where we were...

I flash him a reassuring grin and crouch. Take his tiny hands into mine and look at him straight into his beautiful hazel-green eyes.

"Don't worry; your father will never know we are here."

"How do you know?"

"Because I do," I say, licking my lips and sighing. "It's been two months. Has he found out where we are?" Leo shakes his head. I reach and brush his hair back. "See, nothing to worry about."

"But I'm scared." He whimpers. "I'm scared he will come after me and you. What if he-"

"Sweetie," I pull him into my arms and hug him tight. "He will never hurt you. Mommy is here to protect you. You have your aunts and uncle to protect you. Always. Okay?"

"And Don?"

I shiver at his name coming from my son's mouth.

"Don is as big as a gorilla but soft like a puppy. He can protect us."

"We shouldn't involve someone who isn't our family."

"But Tita Thea and Tita Effie are dating his brothers. So that counts as family."

"Yes, but they are not blood."

"So, having a family doesn't have to be blood. Families are created with or without blood."

I eye him in amusement. I know my son is bright, but I never hear such wise words from him. "Where did you hear this from?"

"Don."

Of course.

"So, Don can protect me. He can protect you, too, because he likes you."

I gasp, and my face suddenly feels warm as my heart races. "What nonsense are you talking about? He doesn't like me. We are just friends." I poke the tickle spot on his hip, making him giggle.

"Yes, he does. I'm not dumb to see how much he cares." I can't believe my six-year-old son is arguing with me about Don. I'm sure they didn't switch babies at the hospital, and I got a genius. No, that can't happen. Leo is so mature for his age to mention liking a person. "Whenever you work late, he would ask about you. Your interest, your likes and dislikes, your hobbies, what scares you-"

"You did not tell him my greatest fear, did you?"

Leo pinched his lips and looked to the left. Oh, he did. I know my son than anybody. Of course, when you lie, you look to the left, but this is the opposite.

I reach and pinch his nose. "You are a big mouth."

Leo chuckle. "He didn't make fun of you."

"And how do you know that? I'll be the laughing stock in the city because I'm afraid of-"

"Blood."

"Yes, blood. I'm not too fond of the sight of it. When you were born, I instantly fainted."

"You also fainted when I had a nosebleed."

I cringe and sigh.

I know it isn't a big deal with looking at the sight of blood. I mean, anybody could faint just by looking at it. I started acting like this when I was just a child, fell off my bike, and saw my first wound. The blood wouldn't stop, and I panicked, which left me to pass out on the ground, and my parents had to rush me to the hospital.

I can never forget that horrible moment. Even my son knows my weakness.

"It's okay, Mommy. I know Don isn't that kind of person."

"It seems you know him more than I do." Leo likes Don. I can see how much he praises him.

"Of course, we play outside and watch tv together or play video games, and he would let me win, and he would read me stories about his time in the military. Mommy, can I join the army?"

"Why?" So suddenly, he asks.

"Because if I'm in the military, I can be as strong as Don, and I'll be the one to protect you from Dad."

I smile and pull him into an embrace. I kiss the top of his head. I'm happy inside he said that. My son to protect me from the man who is his father. Eddie is a man wearing sheep's clothing, and underneath is a monster, not a wolf but a fucking monster.

I hug Leo tighter.

"Mommy, you're hugging me too tight."

I ignore his whimper and hold on tight. "Mommy will never let you go. Mommy will protect you from the monster who is hunting us."

That is a solid promise that will be locked in my heart forever.