THIRTY-SEVEN

"Don?" I whisper his name, relief that he is here, yet his expression seems as if he is unhappy about something.

"Well, Mr. Wolfe," Eddie cut me off before I could charge Don. "Is the plane ready?"

"Yes, sir."

What?

I shift my eyes back and forth at the man I love and the one I loathed.

Do they know each other? But how?

"Don, where are Leo and Christ?" Where are the boys?"

"They are safe."

His tone of voice makes it sound like he has done something wrong. I shift my eyes back at Eddie, then return to Don. "Don, do you know Eddie?"

He didn't answer, which means of his silent reply he knew.

"Of course, Claire, darling, you know Donovan Wolfe," Eddie answers and gestures to Don. "This man I hired to help me look for the treasure. Who would've thought of all people who know him."

I glare at him as he laughs, continuing to run his mouth.

"Besides being an ex-military, he works for me as a mercenary. He did various jobs to keep his family whatever they needed." Eddie stops and looks at me. "But to think you and him? Ha! The word love can be so easily used."

I gasp. "What do you mean?"

The bastard chuckled. "Do you think he cares for you? I hired him to watch you."

I furrow my brows.

"What?"

"I would like to tell you another story," Eddie tips my chin up with his finger, but I jerked my head away. He smirk.

"I don't want to hear your stupid stories," I scream at him.

"Oh, you will like this one even better." And so Eddie began his stupid story. "I knew a little bride would leave a pitiful groom."

I snort and roll my eyes.

I know where this story is going.

"The pitiful man was lonely and worried about her and their son. Oh, their beautiful son, how he adores him."

More like he hates him, this asshole doesn't treat his son as his blood.

"This story is getting nowhere," I say in anger. I eye on Don, who kept his eyes away from guilt.

"Patient, my dear, patient. I'm getting to it."

I groan.

"Knowing that the little bride left the lonely groom with their son, he knew he had to find her, so he hired a mercenary to find her fast." The bastard chuckles and pats Don on the back like good friends. "The lonely man wanted the mercenary to watch the bride before he made his move, but little didn't the lonely man know that the bride and the mercenary fell in love."

Eddie approached me and then grabbed the back of my neck aggressively. I see Don's jaw clench and hear a low snarl at Eddie. I could see his eyes darken once Eddie grabbed me forcefully. It doesn't matter to me anymore if Don is angry. Another man betrays me and hurts me just like this one.

"I never would have thought you would live under the same roof as Donovan. It made his job easier, but now, seeing how you are in this situation and he's working for me, how does it feel to see the man you call your "soulmate"?"

I glance at Don again and see the guilt and misery. He knows what he has done. The first time we met, he wanted to kill the person who gave me bruises. He wanted the person to be buried under six feet for hurting Leo.