FORTY-NINE

Heads up!

This chapter is longer than all the other chapters in this story because this will be the last chapter before the epilogue.

Thank you!

Solomon ran fast but needed to be faster.

Carrying two women weighing at least two hundred pounds is weighing him down. He may be built, but he isn't Superman.

After thirty minutes of running through the woods, Eddie's men caught up to us. Solomon had to do whatever it takes to lose track of us.

He had us in hiding behind a tree big enough for this oversized man while Eddie's men and dogs sniffed us out.

"Solomon, what are we going to do?" I whisper to him as I see moving lights from a distance and dogs barking as they close in on us.

"We are about 5 miles away from our pinpoint location. The twins should be there waiting for us."

"What about Don?" Worries kicked in my stomach as I touched my baby bump protectively. "I'm worried that he is already fighting with Petrov."

I don't doubt Don can win against the most cunning and lustrous man on the planet. I worry that he will be killed.

"Don't worry about the boss," he says with a confident grin. "Petrov may be a monster, but no one messes with a beast.

I believe him.

I bit my lower lips and heard hard breathing coming from Sarah. I reach my hand over her head and pull back. "She has a fever."

"We better hurry," as he said that he took off before any of those men spotted us.

Solomon starts to breathe heavily as he runs as if he had run a marathon to reach the end. Reaching the end, I see a street. Guns fired at us.

"Fuck!" Solomon hid again behind the tree to avoid the bullets aiming at us. He set me down, but as he did, he hissed.

"Solomon, are you okay?"

He peers at his arm, and I saw a piece of his flesh open and blood. "It's not bad. Just a flesh wound."

I grab his bag, take out a gauze wrap, and help him tend to his wound. The sounds of gun firing still echo through the trees.

"Thanks," after I tie the knot, he looks over his shoulder. "Fuck, I see more than ten people closing in."

"Shit, we are almost there, and Sarah's fever is rising," as I said that, Sarah started to tremble and mumble in her sleep.

"No...no...don't hurt my son. Don't hurt Don."

I can hear the frantic pain in her cries, which made my heart share the same feeling. I embrace her close to my chest.

"You are family...please, Eddie...don't do this."

My whole body stuns as I look at Solomon, who has no clue what Sarah has just said.

"Sarah," I call her out calmly and gently as I talk to her while she is in this feverish state. "Why did you say, family? How do you know Eddie?"

"Eddie...Eddie...he," her voice stammers through her sleep. "He...he...and Don are..."

I suddenly realized, cutting my attention from Sarah, that the shots had died. I look at Solomon and ask, "Why is it quiet?"