FORTY-FOUR

I shift to the right side of the bed and then, in seconds, turn to the left. I kept at it for a few minutes until I rose from the bed, shaking my leg and biting my lower lip.

"How long do I have to wait here?" I mumble to myself. Solomon and the others had only left thirty minutes ago and half an hour before the deadline.

I glanced at the square device that Solomon gave me in case one hour was up, and I pressed the button to contact Tech.

The nervousness and restlessness are more considerable than waiting patiently for them to return. They are professional, but what if something happened? I can't just sit here and be worried. These are Don's most trusted friends, like brothers from another family. Since all of this has happened because of me, I'm doubting that I make things right.

But how do I do it?

I can't take down one of Eddie's men. I'm familiar with handling a gun, but if I were to go up against one, I would be fucked.

I shake my head. "No time to be a wuss, Claire."

I approached the cabinet and touched the secret button I had learned when Solomon had more guns hidden beside the duffle bags. I watch the cabinets transform before me and reveal a wall of guns. There were large and heavy to small and easy-to-handle guns. There was even a rocket launcher.

I want to take the rocket launcher and use it to end this mission, but that will kill us all. I grab the first thing, a pistol with a silencer, if that is what it's called. Small and easy to use. I open the mag and check the ammo; I grab more if I miss any shots. I'm not doubting my skills in range, but going up against specially trained men will take a lot of work.

I then look at the one thing I need in a shitty situation. I grab it and look at me. "Perfect."

Just fifteen minutes left until the deadline, I left the house and sneaked my way as I looked around my surroundings, crossing the street.

As I reach Eddie's summer home, I back against the hard wall and slowly peer through the gate. It's dark, but I see two guards standing before the entrance.

Looks like Solomon and the boys went in a different direction to get inside. I kept myself hidden and could feel my heart racing hard. If I were to take these two out, it would be easy for us to escape.

I pulled out the gun, gripped it tightly, and took deep breaths. I closed my eyes and counted to ten. After ten, I opened my eyes and pivoted my feet to assume the position as the two guards caught my attention.

"Who's there?" I said, on guard as he started to approach me. Exhaling, I use my semi-acting skills to convince them I'm here on Eddie's behalf.

I grabbed the gate and gave an innocent look as I looked closer at the guard and found him familiar. I put up a bright smile. "Hi, remember me." The guard looks at me as If I'm weird. "It's me, Claire Soberano. Eddie's fiance."

Just saying I'm the fiance of Eddie makes me sick to the bone, but I have no choice but to reveal the fact.

"I didn't get the message from the boss. You would be here," he says firmly as if he suspects my presence here without Eddie.

I can't let my guard down.

"Oh, Eddie dropped me off and told me to stay here for a while," I say calmly and then display. "He had to attend something important."

The guard made a V on his brows and stared at me like he needed to read my emotions. "If I remember correctly, you left the boss."

Fuck!

"Eddie and I worked things out, and I apologized for my mistake." The lie continued and became worse once I started to bring in tears. "My son and I can't live without him. My son can't be without his father."