Losing friends

I got home and got ready for tonight. I didn't go all out in an outfit tonight, I wasn't feeling it. I just wore jeans and a grey sweater. I decided to put on a necklace and hoops so it looks fancier but I tied my hair back into a low bun. My phone rang right at 8 with Penelope telling me she was outside. I rushed out and kissed my dog goodbye.

"You look... bland," Penelope said as I got in. "thank you?" I said and we laughed it off. We listened to music as we made our way. We walked into the bar and found our table quite easily. Around the table were JJ, Derek, Emily, and... ' no he wasn't supposed to be here.' I should have said no when Penelope asked me, even if she is really hard to say no to. I'm just going to go over and act like nothing is wrong. Hopefully, I can pull it off. 

We made our way over. Here goes nothing. "Hey everyone!" I chimed in a fake cheerful tone. "Hi!" JJ and Emily came over and hugged me. "It's been a while," Emily said. "Yeah, I guess I've been busy. With finals coming up and stuff." that was a lie. The only person who knew that wasn't true was Spencer.

 "Well we're glad you here now," JJ said pulling me to sit next to the girls. I waved a quick hello to Derek as I walked past him. "Hey mama, how you been?" he asked. "Good," I said another lie that only spencer knew it was. I went to sit down with the girls happy I didn't need to talk to anyone else aka the guy I broke up with a little over a week ago.

After a few drinks, I felt really thirsty so I went over to the bar to get some water. "One water please," I said to the bartender. I decided to stay there to drink my water to collect my emotions because acting like you and your ex aren't broken up is... difficult. Especially when he's at the same table. I was deep in my thoughts that I didn't even notice that a guy slipped into the seat next to me. 

"Taking a break from your friends?" he asked. That's when I looked up at him. I'll say it straight forward, he was gorgeous. He had green eyes and light brown skin. He had a beard but I looked really good on him. "Uh.. yeah I guess. a little break. we all need those from time to time." I chuckled. "Mind if I join you?" he asked. "Nope, not at all."

Back at the table.

(3rd person)

"Whos she talking to?" Emily asked causing everyone to look at River laughing with a man. Everyone's eyes slowly made their way back to spencer who was gripping his drink tighter now. "I don't know," he muttered and took a long sip. Nobody knew Spencer and River broke up so that's why they were surprised when spencer didn't do anything when River was laughing with an attractive male at the bar. 

"Are you not going to go up, I mean that's your girl and that guy doesn't seem to know that she is not single," Morgan said. "She's not," Spencer muttered. "yeah, we know she's not single but it seems like that guy, doesn't," JJ said. "No, she not... my 'girl'... not anymore," he said more clearly now. Everyone was shocked. They hadn't suspected anything wrong all night, they thought they were still together. "What happened?" Penelope asked. "I messed up," he said and took another swing of his drink.

Back to rivers pov

I made my way back to the table. My conversation with that guy was a relaxing one. He was super funny and sweet. As I approached the table I realized no one was talking and everyone looked a little sad. I looked over at Pen and her eyes were watery. He told them. He told them we broke up and now it's going to be even more awkward. The team is probably not going to want to see me ever again. After like 5 minutes I stood up and grabbed my bag. "I'm going to go," I said. 

"You can't drive." spencer said. The first words he said to me all night. Actually the first words he said to me since I called things off. "I'll call an Uber," I said a little bitterly. I waved goodbye to the rest of them and headed out. "2 minutes out," I said to myself "awesome."

"Need some company?" I heard someone say from behind me and it caused me to jump a little. "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you." "It's fine Jackson and sure but it's only a couple of minutes," I said to the green-eyed man I met at the bar. "Heading out before your friends," he asked. "I'm not sure they're my friends anymore." I sighed. "Care to explain?" "Long story." "I've got two minutes"

~2 mins later~

"And I don't think they'd want to be friends with the girl who broke their friend's heart," I said in conclusion. "They'd be stupid not to," he said looking into my eyes. "Thanks... my uber is here," I said as I spotted the car. "Okay get home safely," he said and pulled me into a hug. Even though he's kind of a stranger it doesn't feel strange.

 "You deserve someone who treats you well," he said. "Thank you," I said as I pulled away. "You get home safely also," I said and I walked away. I'll probably never see Jackson again and I'm sad about that but I'm happy I met him. There are people who you only meet once but leave a big influence and Jackson was one of those people.  I got home and snuggled in my bed with mahogany and slept yet another dreamless night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Don't forget Jackson! he makes a couple more appearances later... Also, there are going to be a lot of POV changes in the next couple of chapters. Just a heads up. Hope you enjoyed this extra-long chapter! Comment and Vote so I know if you're liking the story so far! <333