Chapter-25

Happy New Year lovelies🌟✨

3535 words!
Breaking the record, hehe.
I got many dms and as many of you wanted me to release the chapters one by one, so here you go.
Enjoy;)
***********

Nova

Morning came sooner than expected. I hadn’t seen Nicholas since yesterday’s incident. I didn't see him during dinner, too.
Damn! He must seriously be pissed at me.

Carter was busy and occupied with his own work and responsibilities and I felt terrible for burdening him with my troubles. I was also worried about Sebastian. He was in a bad condition yesterday and I was afraid it wouldn’t get any better than before.
I decided to look for Carter and if possible help him with his work. That’s was the least I could do after straining him with my worries.

I asked the guards around and they didn’t give me any satisfactory response. They were acting so weird and not giving me a proper answer.
Okay then! There are other ways to get what I want!
The last resort I choose was to threaten one of the guards with a sword close to my neck.
“Tell me where Carter is, or else I will slit my throat and I’m sure you wouldn’t be very much alive to see my funeral afterwards, cause Nicholas would have pretty much had your head until then”
“Wait, your Highness. I-I will tell you Sir Carter’s whereabouts” the guard said with fear in his tone.
I threw the sword on the ground and grinned.
“Thank you very much”
He led me to a door and opened it. I smiled at the guard and walked in.
“Women are crazy” I heard him mutter under his breath before closing the door and I broke into a fit of laughter.

The room looked was similar to an office. The table was piled with bundles of papers and Carter was sitting on the chair, now looking at me curiously with his tired eyes. I stopped laughing and frowned seeing his weary and exhausted self.

“Bella, you seem to be in a good mood” he mumbled grinning.
“Actually no! I hate seeing you like this. Why on earth did Nicholas give you so much work? Did you even sleep last night?” I asked worriedly.
“I couldn’t sleep knowing yesterday’s work was overdue” he said.
“You didn’t answer the other question” I stated.
“Nicholas gave me some of his responsibilities saying it was time to extend my capabilities. I think I am feeling fairly honoured” he answered sarcastically.
“That’s cruel! Why can’t he do his work himself?”
“Why do you think?” he replied with a smirk.
I looked at him confused.
“Because he is busy courting you” he answered with a smirk.
I blushed, my face turned into a deep shade of red.
That…that is quite a revelation.

“Why cannot someone else do it? I’m sure there are people willing to do so” I asked changing the topic.
He just chucked and shook his head. I was confused for a while and then I realised.
“Oh! He wants you to do it because he hates seeing me spending time with you. That’s why he’s keeping you busy. He is a big meanie! How could he do that? He is trying to steal my only friend…Ugh! I hate him” I vented out angrily.
“Calm down Bella! If your man is jealous, it’s a good thing right?” he winked at me.
“Oh! So you are in this too? Don’t you care about your friend being bored and alone all day? Don’t you feel lonely without a fabulous friend like me?”
“Actually, I do have other friends so no, I do not feel lonely” he teased.
“You’re a meanie too!” I scowled at him.
“I’m joking, Bella. Your anger and annoyance is sort of entertaining” he grinned.
Oh yeah!? I punched his shoulder playfully.
“Ouch! No need to get violent now” he chuckled.

Then he looked down at the pile of papers and sighed,
“I got to finish this before our big plan tonight”
I took a look at few of the papers lying on the table.
It was the accounts of the Kingdom’s finances, in flow of taxes, the amount of funds used for weaponry, food grains and other goods, the wealth rolling in from land assets, the resources spent on soldiers and citizens and many more.
“Oh, you’re doing the records” I stated before he said anything.
“Yeah! I hate doing the math” he said with sleepy face.
“You’re lucky that I love the math and numbers” I giggled and continued,
“Now, I order you to go and get plenty of sleep and let me handle all these”
“Are you sure? It takes hours for me to finish this and you have never done this before so-” I cut him off,
“You will be pleasantly surprised of my talents. Now, off you go” I shooed him off.